Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Plant ID, location, transplanting time?

Okay, first off, please forgive my poor photography skills. In the following pictures you will see plants I have in my back yard. Mostly under the step leading to my deck. We will be doing some work on the deck area this winter and I need a plan as to where I should put these and when. They are all great plants and apparently very hearty! (Several years of drought and my lack of care says they are anyway)

What I need to know is:

What the heck are they?

What type of sun should they get? (Full, partial, shade)

What time of year should these be transplanted?

Depth of hole for continued growth?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First two pix are various Hostas - they are shade obligate in your part of the country (they will die in the sun). Third is Colocassia (elephant ears) and Hemerocallis (daylily) - both prefer sun. I can't tell what the last picture is, but whatever exposure they are in right now seems to suit them.

Shift the Hostas in the fall - somewhere shady and plant at the same depth as they are planted now. Elephant ears are tubers and you can cut the foliage off and dig the tuber and replant elsewhere. Don't try to transplant with the foliage - you may kill it.

The daylily can be dug and shifted anytime after it blooms (although I routinely move big ones in full bloom) better safe than sorry. Again, plant at the same depth as now.

The big shrub? I'd prune it back by at least 25% a month before you want to move it (again, the less foliage -within reason - the less transplant shock). Also, root pruning it at the same time would help with the shock issue. The yellow? I can't tell from the picture what it is, so I won't advise about it.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks!

How much sun would be too much for the hostas? I do have a decent shady area but it is mostly full of daylilies right now. I was really hoping all of this could be used on my new landscaping. With the exception of the fence line, its pretty much full sun. What I would like to do is fill in the various levels of this area. I am planning on swapping out the spray heads in this area and installing individual drippers.

I have 8 rose bushes that I would like to use on the upper level. My FIL is going to help me out with those. He was the President of the Alabama Rose Society for several years. He has over 150 distinct bushes in his garden! Too much work for me, but he seems to love it. Right now my roses are not getting the right amount of sun and are in need of transplanting. I actually lost my favorite, Black Magic, this spring due to lack of sun and spider mites. I only hope I can find a good replacement.

FWIW, the back of the house faces due South. The area in this photo is the West side of the yard and gets full sun from around 9:00 am to around 4:00 pm. There are large evergreen trees that are just to the west of it. The back of the property is woods and the East side is trees (Oaks) and more woods outside the fence line.

Last edited by T56 Impala; 07-14-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't you just put the Hostas back under the deck when you're finished re-working it. They will probably not survive with more than an hour (maybe 2) of sun a day in Georgia.

Last edited by Kate Butler; 07-14-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That last one with the yellow blossoms is Lantana. It likes lots of sun and will tolerate some drying out and heat. I'd plant it and others among those huge rocks. They will thrive there. They do not winter over in very cold temps. In Georgia, you might be OK. I'd move them next spring and cover them this winter with a thick layer of pine straw.
With fertilize they will spread nicely. They look even better when clipped and pruned to maintain a natural look--none of that bobbing back stuff.
You've got a "Redbud" (tree with the heart shaped leaves) that needs to be moved. They get rather large and sprawley if not taken care of properly. Why don't you just put me on retainer and have me come over there every month of the year and do this stuff for you. With that kind of estate you need a gardener with fertilize, pruning, and grass skills

Last edited by RAlmaroad; 07-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

The hostas are sitting in an area that will become part of the new out door kitchen so, they need to be moved. I do have a nice shady area I can plant them. I just wish I could have used them to fill in around the new rock wall. I just hate to kill them. They are very nice plants. Believe it or not, there is a rose bush, Mr. Lincoln, hiding under the larger one! It seems to be okay for now. I have no idea how it got there.

That sounds like a good plan for the Lantana. Can I split up the plant or should it remain whole upon transplanting? How quickly will it spread? That plant has been there for a while. Well before we moved here. We cut it back the last two years. It has even survived a few snow events and temps as low as 9*.

The Redbud is a "volunteer". We cut it down to the ground last fall and thought it would go away. It didn't. It actually seemed to like it! its 3 x as big as it was last year. I'm not real sure where I could move it to. I'll have to think about it. I'm guessing it likes full sun.

Thanks for all the info, maybe next spring I'll have a great looking landscape!

I also have this location I can plant. I might put the hostas back here. It is behind the fence line and is part of the 3 tier retaining wall.

I also have this area that needs reworking. There is a variety of things here from Hostas, to lillies to my lowly rose bushes. The roses are going to be moved to the top of the rock wall at some point. They just don't get enough sun where they are. This photo was taken before the rebuild. As you can see by the grass, this is the spot the dogs use. Let me tell ya, a Beagle doesn't do much damage, but the Berner......one "event" and the grass is DEAD. You could stand there with a hose while he goes and soak the area all day and the grass still dies!

FWIW< the tres are now unboxed. Another mistake the first landscaper made. I hope they don't die. I would hate to lose that shade area. The rose bed is going to be a garden for my daughter next year. She loves to plant and harvest stuff. I guess she got the farmer gene from my Dad's side of the family.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't try to divide a Lantana that size, but if you cut it way back, it might survive.