Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bumper Pull to Gooseneck Conversion

I have a 16' landscape trailer that i'm thinking about converting into a gooseneck. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever done this, and if so could give some tips. I plan on squaring in the front 4' of trailer where the bumper pull hitch is located. I'm going to remove the jack and water jug holder, floor it with 2x6's, and actually add 4' to my trailer. I'll either mount a sprayer in this area or use it for clippings, maybe just put the 21" mowers up there, etc. From here, I will go up with my gooseneck arch. I'm going to use the same size C channel that the trailer frame is constructed out of. I will tie in to the trailer frame right in front of the front axle, come all the way out, up, then over for my arch. I'm going to buy a tube from Big Tex that goes down to my bed. I'm also going to get a king pin adapter to bolt into the tube so that I can use my Reese 5th wheel hitch to pull the trailer. Any thoughts? This is going to be a Winter project. I'm just gathering the materials right now and tweaking my design. Thanks. Larry

Here is my trailer
Attached Images

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds

Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your attempting to weld the hardest, and most important part of a gooseneck trailer yourself. it must be done to exact spec's for the trailer to go down the road straight, and support the weight of the tongue or any load you place to the front of the wheels.

I watched them build a trailer on Spike TV's extreme 4x4 it was NOT for the novice welder, that was stated over & over during the build.

I have a Lincoln AC225 stick welder AKA buzz-box, and consider myself just about a novice, and everytime I think I am good enough to weld something important??? I remember some wise words my father spoke before his death years ago. Son you can do just about anything yourself, but I would leave important welding, and rebuilding Transmissions to the pro's

Not trying to discourage you, but if your not truly outfitted for this type of project your going to loose time & money trying to build something you could purchase.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with him too. I wasn't planning on welding it myself. I trust my own welding on things like: adding trimmer racks to a trailer, repairing tailgates/ramps, etc. On the hitch, I have a friend who builds steel buildings (like Morton, Cleary, etc.) He's about 35. His dad is retired and was a welder for 25 years (in the Union). He's going to do the welding for me. I've been mowing for him the past few months in return for this project. He's got a little lot that takes me about 30 minutes to do each week that i've been taking care for him.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just start looking for source's for the parts I would use Bulldog for the the Kingpin. Sounds like a good winter project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I agree with him too. I wasn't planning on welding it myself. I trust my own welding on things like: adding trimmer racks to a trailer, repairing tailgates/ramps, etc. On the hitch, I have a friend who builds steel buildings (like Morton, Cleary, etc.) He's about 35. His dad is retired and was a welder for 25 years (in the Union). He's going to do the welding for me. I've been mowing for him the past few months in return for this project. He's got a little lot that takes me about 30 minutes to do each week that i've been taking care for him.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a gooseneck trailer. I do steel fab and have been for many years. It is cheaper in the long run to buy what you want because these trailer manufacturers can sell you a trailer cheaper than you can build one.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, because the guy who builds steel buildings has a bunch of extra c channel and rectangle tubing around his shop that we're going to use. I'll be buying the gooseneck tube and kingpin adapter, and maybe a few sheets of expanded metal. I think I would have a hard time finding a gooseneck landscape trailer like mine with lockable trimmer racks, cage at the front, mesh sides, etc. This conversion might cost me $400 or so. Plus, building my own, i'll be able to customize it the way I want.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a good plan, can't go wrong with a good gooseneck! Good luck
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I regretted getting a gooseneck for lawns. You'll have an extra 4' of trailer, but you're giving up the bed of your truck. In the event that you have truck problems or want to buy a new truck for your guys to use, you'll have to get one set up for a gooseneck.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I know what you mean about giving up the bed of my truck when the trailer is hooked on. That's a downfall, I agree. I just like being able to jack knife and turn completely around in my own tracks when i'm in tight areas. I also like the way they pull, back, etc. It may be because i've drove trucks in the past (during the Winter), but i'm partial to 5th wheel trailers. The truck I have now has a flip over style gooseneck ball in it, and I also have a Reese 5th wheel hitch on rails. I'm putting the kingpin adapter in the trailer tube so that I can use my actual 5th wheel receiver. They're so much easier to couple and uncouple than the ball. You can just get the truck lined up, back right into it, and it latches itself. Then just get out, raise the landing gear, plug the lights, hook the chains, and take off. I'm even thinking about installing electric landing gear (similar to a camper's). I've found a new 7K pound electric jack for about $250. That sure would be nice.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds