Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The LED assumption being they will be less maintenance? I don't think the information available supports that assumption safely. The one or 2 LED's that worked for James for barely a year are no longer available. James has a new LED that may work, but not even on the market yet. I have a client that emphatically wants LED, yet I have no product to offer that has any track record whatsoever.

I guess I really don't understand the scope. If the systems don't run when the clients are not home for 10 months out of the year, then maybe it is ok to install and not come back for a year? I really don't have any experience with this, so I cannot know if it is a good idea or not.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave, the points you bring up are all valid, and it's why I am posting here. There may be things I need to think carefully through. Everything is new to me too, so I have to do a lot of research.

All I can say is that I need to increase the reliability of my systems significantly if I want to reduce call backs between annual (or longer) service. This may mean going low-tech using consumer-friendly mechanical timers with photocells, or making a refrigerator magnet with Aube "tips" (like dst), or simply a website with go-to basic instructions and tips, with contact info via email and phone.

Inside the transformers I could throw in some wire nuts, 24" of wire, and flags, and instructions for the timers. Before leaving, I demonstrate a splice and review the timer. If a landscaper or the owner cuts a wire, they can mark it with a flag and perform a basic splice. Upon an annual visit, I can replace it with my own splice.

Educating the client, providing them with some key materials, and being available to communicate with them, will all be key to distant installations.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you do install Unique Products you know I will always be here to be a reliable souce of assistance for you and your homeowners Mike! I deal with homeowners everyday calling in asking how to reset timers and change lamps. In most cases I refer to a contractor if the questions become to in depth but I have no probelm helping with the basics of troubleshooting and maintaining a system.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, Joey! Got some pics tonight for you on another thread.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Saw them! AMAZING! Great work, and great photography!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Saw them! AMAZING! Great work, and great photography!
Thanks, Joey. Those tiki's are great focal points, plus, they illuminate a nice sized area.