LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Now - please consider something else.
+1
Quote:
OK you want a mower with resale.
+1
Quote:
Mowers are like cars, the second it leaves the lot you are already down 20% or more.
+1

The 60" Z's are really nice, but I think that they are a little big for the property that you described. I personally think that you would be better off with a slightly used 48" to 52" hydro. An almost new mower can be found in your price range if you are willing to shop for them. Add a new ProSlide XP and you will be good to go on your ~1 acre property. I really like the Scag and the Exmark WB's.
On a side note you should be able to use a mower, like described above, for a couple of years and still resale it for nearly what you bought it for, if you shop wisely. Just my $0.02 worth. I hope it helps.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can get a hydro in your price range. Worth the extra cash.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/page...?product_id=32

And look at the deck adjustment!!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the excellent advice so far.

I forgot to mention, in my OP, the following mower that the local dealer was pushing:

Snapper Rear-Engine Rider
http://www.snapper.com/products/riding/rear-engine/

From what I can make out, this mower has been around since, perhaps, the '60s. It's gone through some minor changes but it's essentially remained unchanged. The price range is between 1 and 2.1K and accessories are available. Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would pass on the Snapper if I were you. Let me put it this way; No self respecting LCO would be caught dead on that thing in my area! LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in a very similar situation (1+ acre with flat terrain and being a homeowner) last year. I read up on this site for about 1 month and ended up with an exmark turf tracer hp 48" WB. I bought it used but it's in like new condition with less than 100 hours on it. I paid $4000 and it came with Accelerator bagger. As a matter of fact, I got the mower from Waterbury (sp) CT.

I absolutely love my machine. It cuts down my mowing time from 3+ hours (bagging with 21") to around 1:15 (bagging) or 45mins (side discharge) depending on how much grass I've to cut. My only minor complain with the TTHP is that the clippings clump when the grass is high and very wet. But then again, my 21" will never be able to cut more than 5' of grass under this condition. It cuts beautifully and ECS control is very easy to operate.

I've no experience with other commercial brand/model. But for home use and with ~1 acre, this is more than adequate.