Register free!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Submersible Cast Deck Light

I have a client that I installed 5 of the Cast Deck Lights, the little hockey pucks, on a boat dock. In February we had a ton of rain here, something like 16 inches in about 4 hours and the lake where these lights were installed rose about 4 feet. These fixtures were under water for about 8 hours. The client had not informed me of this for about a month and these fixtures have been working as if nothing has ever happened without even replacing a lamp.

I was there yesterday to do a total re-lamp of the all fixtures. All I did to these was use some air to blow out a little debris, sprayed with electrical cleaner and replaced the lamps. Amazing what abuse some fixtures can take. All components are stainless and the leads are tin coated. Only real issue was a little corrotion on the lamp itself. Kudos to Cast and a rugged, reliable and extremely cost effective fixture.

Billy and I discussing the other day about how little trouble we have had with Cast products. We have not used that much Cast in the past years just due to distributor issues.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting
Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is one of those cases where tin-wire can make a difference. I honestly never thought much about that much water getting to the wire where the socket is charged on that end. Even when my lights have been under water from flash floods, they still seem to be ok.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I still use the cast puck exclusivly when I need a deck light. Never had a failure. Some guys dont like the SCB lamps but they work well in the mid 11v range.

Last week I went out to service a job I installed 3 yrs ago with SPJ pucks as a favor for Chuck link. The fixture screws are all messed up. The seals are cooked...They just dont look very nice anymore.

CAST has some great principals. If they got away from the open lamp design on the paths and made the bullets slightly bigger or came out with a nice heavy well sealed bronze bullet it would be a winning line in my opinion.

Never had a prob with the cast tree lights really either but I just appreciate the glare control of the uniques alot more. The cast line up does last but the bullets were a pita to service and I have never seen a fixture attract fire ants like the cast ones do.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Sponsor

Thanks Burt.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Billy, a bigger and heavier cast bullet?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I installed the cast pucs back in 03 upside down on some PVC fence post that goes around a pool. I'm sure the seal around the glass has leaked some. The fixtures have been trouble free.
#wuzworthit
Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just signed my first job using Cast fixtures.
I found it to be a hard sell because of the price difference of bronze as compared to copper/aluminum fixtures. For those of you whose regularly use Cast, how do you justify the price to Joe HO?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Classic: My advice to you is to stop selling fixtures and start selling custom lighting systems.

A great lighting system is worth much more than the sum of its parts.

How does an artist justify the cost of the best paints, canvass and brushes? Easy, he doesnt! He just uses the best products he can find and then charges the client for his art. You should think along the same lines.

Regards.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
Classic: My advice to you is to stop selling fixtures and start selling custom lighting systems.

You make a great point. I still find potential customers saying "I didn't know it cost that much". Maybe I am trying to sell to the wrong demographics. I find it frustrating when contractors race to the bottom. Maybe I need to reconfigure my efforts and focus on custom designs.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post

How does an artist justify the cost of the best paints, canvass and brushes? Easy, he doesnt! He just uses the best products he can find and then charges the client for his art. You should think along the same lines.

Regards.
This is a great mindset but most of my clients still want to see a cost breakdown of what they are buying from me. So in the end they still see what they are paying for fixtures, wire, transformers, etc... my customers still view my work as art but most "not all" still want to see what they are purchasing from me.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com