Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What do you use currently?
Lawn Monkey 9 24.32%
QBExpress 10 27.03%
Clip 5 13.51%
GroundsKeeper 10 27.03%
Gopher98 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2002, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lawn/Landscape software poll: Please vote!!

I know this subject has been beatin' to death, but I am just trying to put into perspective on how many use what. I also my needs may differ from others. I am not asking for any replies (although feel free), but just want to what the majority uses.

Thanks
MATT

p.s. I could only post five choices, so I choose what seemed to be the top five programs used.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-24-2002, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been using Groundskeepers Pro for the last 1 1/2 - 2 years and have not had any problems that weren't easily fixed with a phone call to Adkad. They have been giving free updates, but after the newest 5.0 version, there will now be a $20 update fee ... basically due to some changes that have been neccessary from the programmer aspect as well as having to incoperate anti-piracy features. It still beats the update and upgrade fees of some of the other programs. In the time I have been using it they have been great as far as Tech support and service, which has and is still currently free, and have been adding and improving to the program overall. If anyone is looking for an affordable program that covers all the basics as well as having a few more advanced features and some bells and whistles, take a look at it ... they have been great to me and I am very happy that I chose their program.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I am waiting for my demo of GroundsKeeper Pro to come by snail mail. So far I like that it has routing for chemical applicators included, unlike Lawn Monkey which charges extra. I here that Lawn Monkey also has accounting features in their program, does GK Pro have this? I also like the price of GK Pro. I am really looking for something that my business can grow into, so that I won't have to change down the road. I also want on that will not charge for upgrades (or at least a huge charge).

Decisons decisions
MATT

www.progressivelawn.com

- Aristotle

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-24-2002, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would just download it from them ... it only takes me about 2-3 minutes, but I have broadband. GroundsKeeper Pro 2000 does have a pesticide recording section, but you will still have to fill out your states records seperately. It doesn't have a routing section specifically dedicated to pesticides, but you can either use the scheduling section or run a second copy of the program and dedicate that to the pesticide aspect.
As far as accounting, it doesn't yet do complete tallys, but the next update will from what I heard yesterday ... it does keep track of sales and services and keep A/R and billing and current balances, it prints the bills, applies the charges ... it is not QB Pro or Peachtree, whatever, but it definately enough for you to get by with mowing, fert, and most other associated services with landscaping including installation and estimating.
They may charge a nominal fee now for updates, but there will be a substantial fee for an upgrade to the next software version, which will probably be out late 2003-sometime in 2004, but if you are already a current GK pro user, the upgrade fee will be discounted and overall it will still cost less that CLIP or LM and have most of the saem features, probably an upgrade fee of about $450 or a single purchase of $850-$950 area, it currently is only about $350 or so and for what it give you, it is worth it, I did a lot of research before I purchased this and I decided that this was all I needed ... if you are a real large company with 100 employees and 30 crews, then this program might not be for you, but if you are a small to med size company 1 - 25 employees/ 4-5 crews, then this is perfect....
Old 10-27-2002, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks KLMlawn,

I think I will wait until the GIE show and see if there will be any discounts on the program. I suppose my best bet is to wait until the 2003 version comes out, to avoid the upgrade fee. I should be getting my demo version this week sometime.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com

- Aristotle

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-27-2002, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ditto all of klm 's comments
Old 10-28-2002, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

walker-talker, I think you missed my point ... it will probably cost you more to upgrade later than if you purchase the program now and use it for whatever you feel you need a management and billing program for and when the Upgrade comes out, you will not pay the full version price of say $950 area, instead you would be spending say $450 in addition to what you spend now for the current version. In fact, if you got it now and upgrade later, you may in fact not only wind up being able to utilize the program while they are making the changes but get it for less in the long run and not even have to worry about getting a promo price at the Expo. Why don't you give them a call at Adkad, they are actually nice people, they don't push anything, and will even tell you up front if you tell them your situation and needs if their product is even right for you. You will probably talk to either Dave or Karen, both are great people, you can even tell them that "Kryn" told you to call and you need some advise about their software ... they know me well and will take the extra minute if needed.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, I did misunderstand you. I guess I read through your post rather fast. I thought you were referring to the price of LM or Clip being 850-950. I re-read and see what you are talking about now.

Thanks
MATT

www.progressivelawn.com

- Aristotle

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-28-2002, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no problem, hell, both clip and lawn monkey are $1000 or more just to start and that doesn't include upgrades and limited tech support. I really can't see how anyone could go wrong with GK Pro, if they are a small to mid size company ...