Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2002, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

when I was starting out I used to get real involved with my guys ...and I gave an advance now and then...and got burned every time. Even if they paid me back it would backfire when they started to treat me like a bank...I turned a guy down and he got pissed off and stole some tools. I bought guys breakfast too...really dumbe stuff. I think it's best to treat folks like adults, and let them handle their own problems. Treat everyone the same, professional way...good luck
Old 10-29-2002, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's kind of harsh not to accomodate people when they need a draw. With the wages most laborers make you can't blame them for not having much money left over. Could you live on their wages? I know I couldn't. Even my foreman, who makes dang good wages, gets nothing compared to what I make.

I used to offer draws whenever anyone needed one. That policy was abused like crazy by one guy. So finally I changed the policy to one draw per pay period - and only if I can afford it easily when they ask. I also limit draws to like $100 or so.

As for keeping track, we just have a dry-erase board in our shop and whenever I dole out a draw, it goes up on the board. Then I check the board before I write paychecks. Pretty simple. Nobody seems to touch it or alter it after I've put it up there. But there are plenty of ways to keep track. Another good way is just look at your check register for the past 15 days or so. Should be in there.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-31-2002, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I had employees, I wouldn't hestitate to front them some $$$. It wasn't large amounts. Maybe $100 at the most. I treated my employees very well and expected the same from them. Was a 2 way street and worked very well. I do remember one new employee who would ask for an advance at the end of day. Wouldn't show up for work the next day. Following day would show up and I would ask him where he was yesterday. Said he was working on his car. Turned out every time I gave him an advance, he would skip the next day to buy parts and work on his car. Think he lasted 2 weeks.

Last edited by LAWNS AND MOWER; 10-31-2002 at 04:09 PM.