Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

9000 Service System experience

Hi All,

Thought I'd post up my experience with my new sharpening system. I guess the first thing to say is WOW! I never thought it would be fun to sharpen blades but this setup makes it effortless and enjoyable. Let me start by my first impressions of the setup upon delivery.

The first thing I realized is this thing is HEAVY. I think the base alone weighs somewhere around 60 lbs. That added to the 40+ lbs of sharpener and another 20 or so with the arm and balancer and you literally have a tank sitting in the garage. It took me about a half hour to assemble everything. Gerd and company spared no expense in packaging everything up individually making the setup a snap. My only gripe was I was shorted 4 bolts which was no big deal at all. Simple oversight. I've had several email correspondences with Gerd and he has been extremely helpful.

Once setup I started off with an old blade to test it out in case there was a learning curve. Well, after the second pass I had it down and it came off the stone razor sharp. The only thing I would have liked to see was a longer work table. That remedy was quite simple as I found the extended table option on their site. I immediately ordered it up and it makes it even easier to keep the blade flat. I made the recommendation to Gerd to offer this as standard equipment but apparently many don't like the longer table. For me it works perfectly. I should also mention I'm using this to only sharpen my blades (total overkill, I know) Maybe a couple neighbors but for the most part they are straight high-lift blades. For these the longer table works great.

The balancer is a dream to use. I no longer need to fuss with that stupid plastic cone thing that never seemed to work properly. The blades pop on and off easily and it's quite simple to see where the heavy spots are. All in all this was a great purchase. Definitely expensive but this will easily last a lifetime so to me it was well worth the money. I looked at all the units currently available and I have to say the overall setup they offer trumps them all. It sits compactly next to my fridge in the garage and can be pulled out and used instantly. Having everything together is the way to go. I have about 5 additional sets of blades that I'm going to work on this weekend and I can't wait to use it!! If anyone is considering one of these just BUY IT. You will not regret it!
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks dwost I am considering purchasing one and appreciate your post.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad I could help. One modification I made was removing the feet and adding casters. I now can just roll it out when I need to use it. It does make it want to wander a bit so I may upgrade to locking casters but its not that big a deal. I'd rather have the convenience and simple need to wedge a small block of wood under one of the wheels. I sharpened 6 sets of blades last week and it only took me about 20 minutes. That was a total of 18 blades and they all came out razor sharp with a perfect angle and no overheating of the metal.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Sponsor

Hello Dwost

Please be incredibly careful with casters/wheels on the MAG-10300 stand. I also highly recommend you look at locking ones. The issue is stablity, you do not want the stand tipping over, and that is why we don't offer wheels.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Gerd as I did a bunch of testing with it and it's still quite sturdy. Like I said, the only issue I've found is it will want to wander as pressure is being applied to the stone. If you are interested, my recommendation would be to extend the base brackets making the footprint a bit wider/longer to provide additional stability. You could then mount locking casters and have an even more functional unit. The biggest issue is the weight and the inability to move it around. For some that leave this in a set location this is a moot point. For others (like myself) that want the added functionality of moving from it's storage spot to where I work adding wheels makes a great product even better! Just my thoughts
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

- HD Field Trax tires