Register free!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Z View Post
In our town they collect leaves in the fall and "compost" them. Homeowners can go get as much of this as they want. What do you think about using this for topdressing and reseeding or simply as a booster to the soil? It actually looks blacker than this but it has early morning sun on it that makes it warmer looking than it is. This pile was still steaming a little when I loaded it.
SWEET
an excellent source of organic matter. If it is still hot it may not be "finished" yet but I always say

If its free, its for me.

good score, there are many on here that do not have an inexpensive source of compost

Kiril, nice information, I forget some of the simple things sometimes. put it in a pot and water it and see if you grow weeds, you can put some of your grass seed in the pot too and see how it germinates
Old 08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I will not, I repeat, I will not use any "compost" from any town or agency affiliated with them. The last and only time I did so invited weeds and garbage. If you like sifting through plastic spoons, disposable diapers, styrofoam cups and a slew of other items that should of been recycled or sent to a landfill, it is for you. Poorly supervised and executed disposal of street sweeper’s byproducts is what I witnessed.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Nothing like that in our recycled material and I've been using it for years for other plantings etc but not lawn before. Never had one single piece of debris in it. As silly as it seems all leaves to be collected have to be bagged which seems nuts but that's the way it is so nothing is sucked up. Of course someone might put something in a bag that shouldn't be there but I've never come across any myself. In our town we've been doing this for more than 30 years that I know of. If I had that crap in there I wouldn't use it either.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Would that be similar to whatever agenda you have against universities?
similar but different...