Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Friend Advertising?

Hey guys, I have a friend who my parents, and other parents describe as an "Eddie Hascal". Very polite, has great manners, and he's great at talking to adults, BUT he does like to get into trouble. My question is would it be a bad idea to hire him to go door to door and talk to the homeowners to get some business for fall clean ups and maybe have them sign on with mowing also? All adults love him at first, and it's not until they get closer to him, or around him more that they see the trouble he really gets into. Anyways, I am thinking I pay him $8/hr to do this, and I would go around with him but he would do the talking because that's what he does best. I think there's serious potential. Also, would it be a bad idea to pay him by the job's he gets? Or maybe a percentage af the income from the job's he's gotten me? Ideas, comments, criticism?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Initially, if I were a potential customer, I would not have a problem with a nice young man coming to my door looking for work and politely asking for my business and explaining pricing, etc.

Ultimately I would have a real problem if I found out he had no affiliation with your company other than to be "Eddie Hascal".

Sure, I think this idea would work to get you some customers, but might leave some people guessing as to who the owner is and who the heck is on their lawn. Just my $.02

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2005 Chevy 2500HD with 8' Western Ultramount Pro
2008 Chevy 1500 2WD WT
14' tandem axle Maxey
3, 52" Wright Standers, 23 HP
2, 36" Encore hydros
Stihl Handhelds
Toro Snowblowers
Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

You may get more work to begin with but, if any of your customers realize at some point who your ad man is they will associate his reputation with you. Do you want to risk the damage to your reputation? Do quality honest work and the jobs will come from customer advertisement. Ask your established customers if they know of others who would be interested in your services and would they be willing to recommend you to them. Then your business will be built on your solid reputation and not the shaky rep. of another.