Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I have put the advertisement out for specifically organic lawncare.
Now... What jobs to accept - or - pass on...

Overwatering kills soil structure and continual harvest, robs the building blocks of structure. So I will pass on those 2 scenarios.

Are there any other types of situations to avoid when dealing with organic lawns?
Under or irregular watering. Not being able to sharpen mower blades. Wants the grass cut too short. Too many weeds (especially grassy) to begin with. Doesn't follow the 1/3 rule when mowing. And most importantly.. not willing to pay a premium.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
I can see laundry lists of services but I personally find it hard selling details of the advantages of organic lawn care while still admitting to using synthetics. Looks like
"Show me the money and I'll do whatever you want."
Customers are going to call you for a variety of reasons, not just for 100% organic lawn care. Some just want a nice lawn (because you do good work ), or maybe their neighbor made a referral and they called you. You will have the people that want organic lawn care, but that might only be 50% of your business. Some might want organic ferts/soil amendments with a weed spot treatment in the spring or fall. It depends. Some people can offer strict organic lawn care. It's a tough sell here.

As far as turning down customers for various mowing or watering issues, I tend not to do that. I'd say 75% of our customers don't mow their own lawns. I can tell (and give handouts) the customers about proper cultural practices and some listen, some don't. We don't deal with a lot of customers with irrigation, but once we get them on a good schedule, they're fine. It does take a little extra work at first though.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
Under or irregular watering. Not being able to sharpen mower blades. Wants the grass cut too short. Too many weeds (especially grassy) to begin with. Doesn't follow the 1/3 rule when mowing. And most importantly.. not willing to pay a premium.
I appreciate all the feedback, from everyone.

Grass too short is definately a problem. Good point.

Too many weeds - will depend on the person and their ultimate goals. It would be fun to have a lawn in which the grass is given a chance to overtake the weeds to some extent and see how well it fills in naturally.

Little or no irrigation is not an issue for me at all. Many lawns are without, whether organic or not.

As far as the premium goes... I promise it is inexpensive [compared to 6 app TG] so the Milorganite once in the fall may be all some of them get.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
There is a glitch that concerns me. How do you advertise the details of organic lawn care without making yourself look bad if you still offer synthetics.
Or aren't you doing both?
I am advertising for organic lawncare. No details about it in the ad.
I will try to meet with every call in person. Walk the lawn with them, plugging samples as we go. Once I see what their soil is like, what the HO is like, what kind of a hurry they are in, etc.
Then I will decide to take on the lawn or not.

Why would I make myself "look bad" by continuing to offer synthetics?

I sub out all the pesticide applications and I use synthetic ferts for large areas where gras shouldn't really be growing just to keep it from dying out.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I am advertising for organic lawncare. No details about it in the ad.
I will try to meet with every call in person. Walk the lawn with them, plugging samples as we go. Once I see what their soil is like, what the HO is like, what kind of a hurry they are in, etc.
Then I will decide to take on the lawn or not.

Why would I make myself "look bad" by continuing to offer synthetics?

I sub out all the pesticide applications and I use synthetic ferts for large areas where gras shouldn't really be growing just to keep it from dying out.
One company we sell to that is pretty large always says to me " we do not associate ourselves with failure, we want the customer to get to NO as quickly as possible so we don't waste each others time!"
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
One company we sell to that is pretty large always says to me " we do not associate ourselves with failure, we want the customer to get to NO as quickly as possible so we don't waste each others time!"
That is exactly why I don't want to even start with some people. No association with failure.
I don't want to get to 'no' too quickly because I would like to be able to discuss soil structure with them for a while. Usually good PR is not a waste of time.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If they want a great green ,weed free lawn quick
If they want a good price
If they want to do cutting
If they want to tell you when to cut there lawn
If they say I really don't need the lawn cut every week....
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
BTW, Barry's state, New Jersey, has passed some very forward thinking legislation. IPM practices, if you cannot prove the site needs it, you can't apply it. In my book very smart, not an all out ban of this or that, you still have all of the tools at your disposal, you just can't blanket (isn't that Michael Jackson's son) every site anymore
Just curious, to whom do you have to show proof. I think this is more nannyism than forward thinking.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
If they want a great green ,weed free lawn quick
If they want a good price
If they want to do cutting
If they want to tell you when to cut there lawn
If they say I really don't need the lawn cut every week....
Good idea, about whether this is a client who expects it all NOW - or - has a clue about what I'm saying, as we discuss what should/could be done.

I can basically give a good price... compared to TGCL, anyways.

No time for mowing. I run a solo operation and don't really need more work. Most organic clients will see me two or three times a year. Of course I can upsell on regular standard practices such as fall/spring cleanups, aeration, overseeding, topdressing, and the like.

Which just made me think of another problem to keep in mind... If they do not do prompt cleanups and leave the fall debris until spring!!! Some people do that and magically want a wonderful lawn.