Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ted,

of course I would of pushed the brake....if you were sky diving and your main chute failed would you pull the cord on the reserve? If you were riding you motorcycle and you ran out of gas, would you switch the fuel petcock to the reserve setting, or would you park the bike and walk....you have a seat belt and rops now on every single ZTR how many people wont wear the seatbelt...its a gauranteed life saver if the machine rolls...But people won't use it..

How many people have seat belts but don't use them in their car...Thats a no brainer IMO, Hell its a law....but you have people still afraid of getting trapped in a sinking car...as their excuse...

Id love to see a report of ZTR hill slide accidents, back to their inception and before ROPS . I'll bet in every single case the operator went beyond the capabilities of the machine as indicated in the operators manual...too steep of a slope or a wet slope...IE unsafe operation...as the culprit...No it doesn't make the family feel any better that their father/husband/son is dead because they were stupid. Sorry but your husband/father/son did something stupid and paid the ultimate price. Yeah I know it sounds callous.

How many people are dumb enough to put their hands under a mower with the blade spinning....Obviously there was one bone head with a good lawyer...now we got safety switches to protect us from being stupid.

I hate to say it but safety switches are horrible in themselves, we become complacent and rely on a mechanical device to think for us...

I know you want your brakes to be seen a safety device that coupled with safe operation of a mower could save your life, but if you operate your mower safely you wont need the brakes.

Many LCO's are heady strong and some are stubborn (me included) and we'll look at the brakes as a way to increase our productivity buy hitting steeper hills or putting ourselves in more dangerous situations so yo wont' have go grab the 21" the WB or the string trimmer... Your videos of the mowers stopping on a 20+* slope show us that we can go further/faster and push the limits...

owners manual...

FAILURE TO FOLLOW SAFE OPERATING PRACTICES MAY RESULT
IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
• Read this manual completely as well as other manuals that came with your mower.
• DO NOT operate on steep slopes. To check a slope, attempt to back up it (with the
cutter deck down). If the machine can back up the slope without the wheels slipping, reduce speed and use extreme caution.
• Under no circumstances should the machine be operated on slopes greater than 15 degrees. ALWAYS FOLLOW OSHA APPROVED OPERATION

15* that only 5* more than most wheelchair ramps....

I also noticed NO ROPS on the bad boy...any particular reason???
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

wow never thought about it like that.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ted, I don't carry what anyone else says, front brakes on a ZTR is a great idea. I hope you make it big with them. I would LOVE to have them on my z. In these pics, you can see that the hill really isn't that bad. WRONG. Just yesterday I went for a ride down the hill and ran the mower into the tree on the right. You can see where the tall grass got ran over at the tree. The tree was what stopped the mower. It started sliding and would not stop no matter what I did with the controls. If the mower had front brakes I could have creeped down the hill or actually STOPPPED on the hill. Your the first person I thought of when it happened. I was actually cussing you for not having them done and ready! j/k

Last edited by ALC-GregH; 08-15-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Ted, I don't carry what anyone else says, front brakes on a ZTR is a great idea. I hope you make it big with them. I would LOVE to have them on my z. In these pics, you can see that the hill really isn't that bad. WRONG. Just yesterday I went for a ride down the hill and ran the mower into the tree on the right. You can see where the tall grass got ran over at the tree. The tree was what stopped the mower. It started sliding and would not stop no matter what I did with the controls. If the mower had front brakes I could have creeped down the hill or actually STOPPPED on the hill. Your the first person I thought of when it happened. I was actually cussing you for not having them done and ready! j/k
if you didnt go full speed down that hill you would have been fine, especially with that turf tiger.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Ted this is a great idea. Have you also considered using rear brakes? I would love to see a four brake system with dirt bike brake levers on both handles. Imagine the stopping power from four brakes along with hydropump braking.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckn View Post
Ted this is a great idea. Have you also considered using rear brakes? I would love to see a four brake system with dirt bike brake levers on both handles. Imagine the stopping power from four brakes along with hydropump braking.

I hope your kidding.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
I hope your kidding.
Why?? I'm a solo operator and I'm not an idiot. I know the finer points of braking from years on mountain biking with hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckn View Post
Why?? I'm a solo operator and I'm not an idiot. I know the finer points of braking from years on mountain biking with hydraulic disc brakes.
Because every hydro drive mower has dynamic braking provided by the hydro system. Pull back on the handlebars and the mower will stop each and every time. It's pointless to have rear brakes on a hydro drive mower.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My only concern is stuff that sticks to the tire and being thrown at the brake like constantly like grass, mud, stuff like that. I don't think it would be an issue. Even things getting rapped around the wheel where the caliper and disk are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

still, in theory brakes may help but also in theory a meator could hit and kill me. if people would just use more common sense there is not a need for brakes on front caster wheels. also if these people dont have enough common sense on what to do on a ztr then they sure wont have enough to buy brakes... next how much you think they would really cost????? a striping kit costs 300 to 450. a chute block costs 200 +... a brake system will be well over 800.00...
1 more note to ted what about the extra stress on the caster's? what happens when you snap one off?? you will have to design your own casters too to sell these

Tags
mower safety , zero turn mower brakes , ztr mower brakes