Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-16-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea Ted.

Brakes are far better than no brakes, no matter what some may think!
Anyone mowing on hills should consider to have them installed.

I've seen your videos on YouTube and I can tell you are having way too much fun on that Bad Boy...

I wish you the best for this project of yours.
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
If it saves a persons life, what does the price have to do with it?
I agree with this, it's just that I know that it will add a good amount to the price. Can you put a price on someones life though?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

front brakes

[QUOTE=JB1;3144685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
hi ted, ok less than 200 in parts. So say 180.00 you spent in parts, now how much do you think it costs to make a striping kit?? Maybe 50.00 or 60.00 in parts total and they sell for 300 to 400. Really unless your making them and not going to make one penny on them you can sell for 200.00 but you seem to be working on this stuff for a longgg time not to make money off if it would not be a good idea. So in reality what ted brakes gonna cost??[/quo
this is gitting old price of saving your life could be less than 150.00 you need to quite whying these brakes work may even save your life but let me guss you have read your owners manules and you are going to go buy them to the tee you plan to go on only flat land because thay dont recomend hill or slop good luck with that because it only takes one time to mess up and be dead im not trying to fix stupid just trying to save those that made a bad chioce for some reason speel check wont work so you can i cant spell sh..t ted
Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=ted corriher;3145408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post

this is gitting old price of saving your life could be less than 150.00 you need to quite whying these brakes work may even save your life but let me guss you have read your owners manules and you are going to go buy them to the tee you plan to go on only flat land because thay dont recomend hill or slop good luck with that because it only takes one time to mess up and be dead im not trying to fix stupid just trying to save those that made a bad chioce for some reason speel check wont work so you can i cant spell sh..t ted
Okay, that was real professional!?!?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=ted corriher;3145408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post

I don't even know what this is, or who is typing.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As harsh as it is, the fact remains that safety does have a price. If there wasn't a threshold for cost then all cars on the road would be built like a NASCAR car and be able to withstand a 200 MPH crash and everybody walks away.

Whether or not this brake system makes it into production on any mower is up to the manufacturers. They will have to evaluate it's costs, benefits and liabilities.

I've seen people ask if there will be a system to fit their specific mower. You have to read what Ted is saying. He doesn't appear to be interested in selling these systems individually. He had said it repeatedly that his main target is the manufacturers. He said that, and asked us to help him, in the first braking system he showed us last year. He again repeated it in this thread.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and good luck fitting this system to any mower for under $200. I did a quick search yesterday for just the master cylinder and the cheapest I could find was almost $140 plus shipping. Then you'll need SS brake lines, machine work, a way to mount the calipers (the calipers are not mounted in these photos, they're just sitting on the rotors), the calipers, rotors, 360° fluid universal joints, some sort of brake warning system and a fluid distribution block.

Pictures of the concept is one thing. An actual, safe operating system is another. The reason I waited so long to show my Ferris SD brake system was simple. I wanted to wait until we had a 100% functional system that worked as intended.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Ted, I don't carry what anyone else says, front brakes on a ZTR is a great idea. I hope you make it big with them. I would LOVE to have them on my z. In these pics, you can see that the hill really isn't that bad. WRONG. Just yesterday I went for a ride down the hill and ran the mower into the tree on the right. You can see where the tall grass got ran over at the tree. The tree was what stopped the mower. It started sliding and would not stop no matter what I did with the controls. If the mower had front brakes I could have creeped down the hill or actually STOPPPED on the hill. Your the first person I thought of when it happened. I was actually cussing you for not having them done and ready!
There ya go ted, Your first customer who wished he had the brakes so he could creep down the hill. A hill that easily exceeds the 15* as indicated in the manuals...

Could brakes on the machine have prevented greg from running into the tree and loosing control. Yes they may have been able to slow the machine and stop it... Could Greg's adherence to the operators manual have prevented him from losing control while going down the hill. Yep. and you know what, It doesn't cost a penny. The manual comes free with the purchase of the machine.

You know it would not be that hard to put a safety switch that shuts the machine off when it gets on an angle of greater than 15* We can wrap the machine in a roll cage and put a seat belt switch (like skid loaders have) which wont' start until the belt is clicked...

I'm not discounting the price of a life...At what point do we stop putting safety switches/ roll bars, ect on these machines and start making proper/safe operation the responsibility of the operator and not the product manufacturer. I guarantee that in every single case where the machine flipped over on a guy and killed him the first thing the lawyer is gonna ask Was there a ROPS installed when the first question should be, how steep of a slope was it and what does the operators manual say...

ON a side note, while I like the idea of a master cylinders and fluid brake lines, they do appear to stick up above the caster quite a bit, any though to using hard lines that fit the contour of the machine better (ie less chance of the hoses getting damaged) or even going with a cable actuated system (less pressure but simpler)

I have a caster(no wheel/tire) from my scag that I'd be willing to ship to you...if you want to start looking at the Scag dimensions of their fork...

here are the pics of the hill (30*) that my employee went down...lost control and did hundreds of $$ damage to the machine all because he was too lazy to take the extra 60 seconds and drive down the road. Luckily he was not hurt...
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslawnguy View Post
the brakes with some type of tread for the front would be ideal to slap on for hills. but would tear up reg flat yards with turning. maybe a wheel and brake combo could be a accessory to keep in the trailer for hilly stuff.
A small tire like a Turf Master or such would only help under the best of conditions. The front wheels of a ZTR are the ones that are most prone to grass clogging in the casters. Even with large wheels and openings it does happen, way too often.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
There ya go ted, Your first customer who wished he had the brakes so he could creep down the hill. A hill that easily exceeds the 15* as indicated in the manuals...

Could brakes on the machine have prevented greg from running into the tree and loosing control. Yes they may have been able to slow the machine and stop it... Could Greg's adherence to the operators manual have prevented him from losing control while going down the hill. Yep. and you know what, It doesn't cost a penny. The manual comes free with the purchase of the machine.

You know it would not be that hard to put a safety switch that shuts the machine off when it gets on an angle of greater than 15* We can wrap the machine in a roll cage and put a seat belt switch (like skid loaders have) which wont' start until the belt is clicked...

I'm not discounting the price of a life...At what point do we stop putting safety switches/ roll bars, ect on these machines and start making proper/safe operation the responsibility of the operator and not the product manufacturer. I guarantee that in every single case where the machine flipped over on a guy and killed him the first thing the lawyer is gonna ask Was there a ROPS installed when the first question should be, how steep of a slope was it and what does the operators manual say...

ON a side note, while I like the idea of a master cylinders and fluid brake lines, they do appear to stick up above the caster quite a bit, any though to using hard lines that fit the contour of the machine better (ie less chance of the hoses getting damaged) or even going with a cable actuated system (less pressure but simpler)

I have a caster(no wheel/tire) from my scag that I'd be willing to ship to you...if you want to start looking at the Scag dimensions of their fork...

here are the pics of the hill (30*) that my employee went down...lost control and did hundreds of $$ damage to the machine all because he was too lazy to take the extra 60 seconds and drive down the road. Luckily he was not hurt...
Actually, I think the safety devices should be left off and let Darwinism take its course. People have gotten too lulled into the idea that the Gov't and manufactures need to protect the operators from themselves. Logging is the most dangerous job in the USA and you don't see people with roll cages around them when cutting down a tree. Only when they get on a unit of machinery do they get it.

Tags
mower safety , zero turn mower brakes , ztr mower brakes