Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just think how much faster you could go in a CAT

Well qps, then I would have to experience that most excellent CAT service all the time. Its much easier to run CASE, this way I just get my work done. No waiting on service trucks or waiting for my new excavator which is lost on the same island as Gilligan and Ms. Airhart. Granted my company isn't worth as much as it would be if I ran CAT, but I have managed fine for the last 12 years I reckon I'll do fine for the next 12. You may want to suggest to CAT that from now on they put a Lojack system on the machine when it leaves the factory, maybe then we would find Elvis and the Easter bunny .

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

KSSS, you are brutal!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-04-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

Hey guys thats some serious posts. Im a skid steer guy and i only know of 1 guy with a tractor in my area. I wont make a challenge ( getting to old ) But what we do with skid steer and rock hound i cant see a tractor keeping up with us either. On new yard installs we try to have our soil dumped in different areas when possible. But the way we can go in to a pile and move around spreding the dirt with the bucket, then putting down our final grade i dont think many could beat us either. im a 2 man company we have prepped 15-1700 sq. in a day then hydro seeded late afternoon or evening to me thats hustling. I ran a tractor this year on a job that was the homeowners along with my guy on the bobcat and i thought it was slow. I will admit im not a great tractor operater though. Just changing gears and throttle control i cant see 1 keeping up with a skid. This tractor even had a hoe attm. on it i used to dig a footer of a wall and i thought it had a lot to be desired even though it worked out. Good luck to you guys in your wager.
Mike
Old 09-04-2006, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know fella's, I like having a Harley rake on back AND a bucket up front. Most of the time bulldozers layout the topsoil before me. I feel my 3pt tractor does a better job.Quicker,Better visability,lighter, Ect. Maybee i'm just old school. For moving dirt, The Skidsteer wins.
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Its hard to beat a tractor with a box blade when it comes to grading yards/driveways. It may not always be the fastest, but it will come out perfect with the least amount of hand work, if you know how to use it.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss
Just think how much faster you could go in a CAT

Well qps, then I would have to experience that most excellent CAT service all the time. Its much easier to run CASE, this way I just get my work done. No waiting on service trucks or waiting for my new excavator which is lost on the same island as Gilligan and Ms. Airhart. Granted my company isn't worth as much as it would be if I ran CAT, but I have managed fine for the last 12 years I reckon I'll do fine for the next 12. You may want to suggest to CAT that from now on they put a Lojack system on the machine when it leaves the factory, maybe then we would find Elvis and the Easter bunny .
Just poking at ya...
Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in florida they are in love with box blades also. I also never saw one used as much until i moved here. I run an s205 bobcat and I can work just as quick doing a final as any tractor. I have the advantage on the rough grading. A tractor with no front loader is helpless on most rough grades. I charge hourly for rough and flat for finals if I did the rough. You can make money but you must plan your work out to remain competitive. I see more and move CTL showing up here replacing the box blades. I thing that the only advantage a bo blade has over a SSL STL is price to purchase.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I'm here to stir the pot up a bit.....

When grading yards, I take both a track skid and grading tractor with box blade/roller combo. I do the production work with the skid and then put the icing on the cake with the box/roller combo....nothing beats the production of a skid and then again, the finish of a box/roller combo for final clean up and dressing sells the finished product....
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Grader Box vs Grader Blade

I may be asking this in the wrong place but...

I'm wondering how much better a grader box is than a grader blade? I have a tractor with a 3 pt hitch and need to grade a gravel driveway (1500 ft long). I can buy a used 6 ft blade for $125 and a 6 foot box for $350. Any thoughts?

Cville Apartment & Landscaping
Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
In my part of town, most landscapers are using tractors with box blades to grade home sites with. The result is decent grading, with out the real ability to move material around the job site if thats needed. Most of these rigs have a laborer with a wheel barrow moving material around the job site.

Back up North we never even saw a tractor with a box blade, it was skid steer/bobcat only which was a nice because we could move/ add/ remove materal very easily. I havent had time to get my bobcat side of the biz going and I am trying to get in with some builders, selling the fact that my bobcat is a bit more versitile than a tractor with a box blade.

What do you think is better and why?

It all boils down to the experience of the operator. A good operator on a tractor/boxblade will out perform an unexperienced skid steer operator. But an experienced skid steer operator will run circles around a tractor with box blade any day.