Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
Actually, I think the safety devices should be left off and let Darwinism take its course. People have gotten too lulled into the idea that the Gov't and manufactures need to protect the operators from themselves. Logging is the most dangerous job in the USA and you don't see people with roll cages around them when cutting down a tree. Only when they get on a unit of machinery do they get it.

I think to a point, its not even Govt, but lawyers/sympathetic juries/bone head judges...which create the need the for manufacturers to "protect themselves" from the lawsuit.

Lets say that bad boy mowers puts the brakes on their machines... someone will kill themselves even though the machine has brakes.... How will it happen. someone will feel invincible withe brakes and they will continue to "push the envelope" and as said earlier. you can't fix stupid.

Remove all warning labels....the problem will solve itself...

some funny warning label quotes...

http://www.rinkworks.com/said/warnings.shtml
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 PM
milo's Avatar
milo milo is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown PA
Posts: 1,172
[QUOTE=Richard Martin;3145602]As harsh as it is, the fact remains that safety does have a price. If there wasn't a threshold for cost then all cars on the road would be built like a NASCAR car and be able to withstand a 200 MPH crash and everybody walks away.

said perfect....
and yes, life dont have a price but guess what does??? safety items do. if you can sell me a brake kit for $150.00 or even $200.00 i will buy, but really you wanna talk safety, REALLY???? 1.how many guys you see with the rops system up mowing??? in my area none.. question?? how many lives would that save if that were up or if the mower did not come with it not to many people buying that to save lives... 2.how many guys you see mowing in shorts and with no shirts on and no eye protection on or no hearing protection or orange vests or steel tip boots working???? not too many or if any???
or let me guess, well safety glases wont save your life well thats right but will save you from loosing a eye and they cost $6.00 and not many wearing them
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
marcuslawnguy marcuslawnguy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 117
this is a interesting idea with the brakes for ZTRs when the whole situation has been solved with 4x4 tractors and mowers on a boom. lmao This might get the job done some of the time but the right equipment will get it done every time. My life is very important to me and if I had to mow some of the slopes that you guys do my equipment choice would reflect for my safety. Just my two cents. I'm just surprised that no one has even mention that there is already equipment for these type of mowing situations.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
milo's Avatar
milo milo is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown PA
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslawnguy View Post
this is a interesting idea with the brakes for ZTRs when the whole situation has been solved with 4x4 tractors and mowers on a boom. lmao This might get the job done some of the time but the right equipment will get it done every time. My life is very important to me and if I had to mow some of the slopes that you guys do my equipment choice would reflect for my safety. Just my two cents. I'm just surprised that no one has even mention that there is already equipment for these type of mowing situations.
theres another point...
look ted, i think your brakes look nice but i am saying you think in the 25 + years ztr's were around no one thought of this???? they did hell alot of us did but the fact is this overall there is no need for them.. please tell me how you would sell this to a exmark? scag? hustler? bad boy?
1. there are to many what if's 2. cost 3. new design.. the list goes on and on. another thing, what if hill is wet? brakes or no brakes your going to slide down the hill period mostly with slick tires or what your gonna add a abs system? tires with tread on front.
facts are facts. the fact is this, the real cost to bring a item like this to a mower would be $1000.00 + easy.. hell i just put in belt on my hustler super z and the belt was $59.99 for 1 belt and there are so many what if's and if worth having or not and in the big picture no they are useless period.....
now as for your mower with them on thats fine and you did a nice job with it but thats all it is a nice thing you made for your mower
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Puddle of Oil's Avatar
Puddle of Oil Puddle of Oil is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Akron/Canton Ohio
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
theres another point...
look ted, i think your brakes look nice but i am saying you think in the 25 + years ztr's were around no one thought of this???? they did hell alot of us did but the fact is this overall there is no need for them.. please tell me how you would sell this to a exmark? scag? hustler? bad boy?
1. there are to many what if's 2. cost 3. new design.. the list goes on and on. another thing, what if hill is wet? brakes or no brakes your going to slide down the hill period mostly with slick tires or what your gonna add a abs system? tires with tread on front.
facts are facts. the fact is this, the real cost to bring a item like this to a mower would be $1000.00 + easy.. hell i just put in belt on my hustler super z and the belt was $59.99 for 1 belt and there are so many what if's and if worth having or not and in the big picture no they are useless period.....
now as for your mower with them on thats fine and you did a nice job with it but thats all it is a nice thing you made for your mower
i totally agree! couple months ago i was mowing a pretty steep wet hill around a pond, well the tiger lost its grip and slid sideways down the hill then stoped only inches from the pond! i brought the grass down with me trying to stop that beast! so if the two wheels in the back with lots of traction on them couldn't stop it how are two wheels with zero traction on em gonna stop that beast? plus theirs not to much weight in the front of a z so that doesn't help ether!

hey ted slame those brakes on going down a 55 degree slope then i might be convinced!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
I get paid to keep the property looking good. It is not hard what we do like anything else in life, added will power, desire and the ability to look for solutions not excuses then you will succeed.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
ALC-GregH's Avatar
ALC-GregH ALC-GregH is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspetrock View Post
i totally agree! couple months ago i was mowing a pretty steep wet hill around a pond, well the tiger lost its grip and slid sideways down the hill then stoped only inches from the pond! i brought the grass down with me trying to stop that beast! so if the two wheels in the back with lots of traction on them couldn't stop it how are two wheels with zero traction on em gonna stop that beast? plus theirs not to much weight in the front of a z so that doesn't help ether!

hey ted slame those brakes on going down a 55 degree slope then i might be convinced!
you guys really are that dumb.

I would bet my life savings that had your mower had the brakes on it that it wouldn't have slid in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Puddle of Oil's Avatar
Puddle of Oil Puddle of Oil is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Akron/Canton Ohio
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
you guys really are that dumb.

I would bet my life savings that had your mower had the brakes on it that it wouldn't have slid in the first place.


so i guess when you slam on your brakes in the truck on ice it will come to an instant stop, right. cuz i mean you put the brakes on so it has to work right???? regardless of the road/terrain conditions! the hill i was on would have done nothing but destroy the hill if you put two more brakes on. those brakes might have helped you on that bunny hill of yours but wait till you do some steep ones, its not easy stopping 1500 lb mower from sliding down a steep wet hill! heck if i remember ill post some pictures of of that steep hill when i mow it thursday!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
I get paid to keep the property looking good. It is not hard what we do like anything else in life, added will power, desire and the ability to look for solutions not excuses then you will succeed.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-18-2009, 11:37 PM
milo's Avatar
milo milo is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown PA
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspetrock View Post


so i guess when you slam on your brakes in the truck on ice it will come to an instant stop, right. cuz i mean you put the brakes on so it has to work right???? regardless of the road/terrain conditions! the hill i was on would have done nothing but destroy the hill if you put two more brakes on. those brakes might have helped you on that bunny hill of yours but wait till you do some steep ones, its not easy stopping 1500 lb mower from sliding down a steep wet hill! heck if i remember ill post some pictures of of that steep hill when i mow it thursday!
i still did not get any replys or answers to my last posts but your point is perfect...
now back to why i dont see people with the rops up mowing???? i know why cause 98% of the people dont think they need them
why dont you see people wearing eye protection??? cause nothing will ever hit there eye..
why do people wear shorts and no shirts??? cause its too hot and im to young for skin cancer...
why no steel toe boots???? to hot and cost to much...

you guys really want to make ztr's safer use them for what they are made for....
next, you want ztr's safer really??? then maybe they should be inspected every year like cars.
i can really say my biggest fear while working is me getting hit by a car trimming by curbs or opening and closing my gate
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
kjslawn's Avatar
kjslawn kjslawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville,Ky
Posts: 618
WET Grass is not equal to Ice And Yes those to front brakes and the hydros on the back would have helped you. I see this as an option just like a suspention seat If you dont want it dont buy it. Some of you on here are just so opposed to this it really is funny.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
opposed to it...yes but for total financial reasons. this will jack the price $500+ on a new machine. plus the extra cost associated with upkeep. just like Rops is a a waste of metal, think of all the wasted copper wires on all the safety switches...extra headaches to go through when stuff isn't working....and on and on...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mower safety , zero turn mower brakes , ztr mower brakes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.08375 seconds with 10 queries