Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Electric clutch not engaging after motor swap

Hey there, I bought a John deere gs30 with a 36" deck the other day that had a blown kohler command 13hp pull start engine. I decided to put a Kawasaki FB460v on it since it has the same footprint. It is also a pull start. I got the engine on the mower and then realized that i had to figure out how to connect the electric clutch. On the kohler, it has two wires coming from the stator (under the flywheel) and they go to a little module that I believe is the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator has three prongs, two of which are connected to the stator wires, and the other goes to a connector, which goes to the panel. Well, long story short, i tried to take that same voltage regulator and connect it to the kawasaki and wire it the same way as the kohler was wired. It will not engage however. I am getting some electricity off of the stator because I can feel a little current coming off when i touch the wires. The clutch partially engages, but not nearly enough to drive the blades. I tested the clutch with a car battery and it clicked immediately and worked correctly.

My question is, Do I need to get a voltage regulator that is designed for the kawasaki, or could it be a stator problem? How do I test the stator? If i do need a different volt regulator, where do i find one? Should my current electric clutch work with the kawasaki? It is a warner. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Kurt

Last edited by kurtcorbett; 08-03-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You will probably need the kawasaki regulator parts. On those units they had a regulator along with a decent sized capacitor separate from the regulator. They used that setup on the singles when driving a clutch with no battery. If I had to guess I would think those parts are probably around $100 or more new.

You can check the stator with a volt meter. See how much AC voltage is coming out with the engine running at 3600.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks pugs for the info. I'm trying to find the parts now. When I install the right regulator and capacitor, should it all wire up the same way the old engine was (kohler command 13hp) or will it be different? Does anyone know if any of the john deere gs30's came with an fb460v from the factory?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this will help ? They did come with the FB and FC engines.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey again. Thanks so much for the info. I'm sorry to be so needy, but I'm having a hard time finding the right voltage regulator and also the capacitor that pugs mentioned. The regulator looks to be a 6 prong if i'm not mistaken from the schem. Anyone got a part Num. on those by chance? I really appreciate the help.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go HERE, Click on parts catalog on the left then enter your unit model number. It should show the Kawi parts as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, this whole thing has been really frustrating. It looks like the regulator and capacitor for the kawasaki are going to cost like 300-400$.... I think I might be better off just buying a kohler like the one that was originally on it. Stupid me, i should have done that in the first place. If I don't find some used parts for the kawasaki, that's what i'll do. Thanks for all your help. I'm still open to any ideas.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could go with a newer style kawasaki engine...one of the V-twins. They dont use any regulator in the system. Just diodes built into the coil or wire somewhere.

Seems odd that those parts would be that much cash but I woudnt put it past Kawasaki. Some of their solenoid shift starters are 350-400.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I had an idea, Does anyone have the specs for how much voltage should be coming off of the stator on the Kohler command pro 13hp, and a Kawasaki FB460V. If they are the same, than I must be hooking something up wrong. If different, than I guess I know what I have to do. Thanks!

Kurt

Tags
electric clutch , fb460v , gs30