Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspetrock View Post
i totally agree! couple months ago i was mowing a pretty steep wet hill around a pond, well the tiger lost its grip and slid sideways down the hill then stoped only inches from the pond! i brought the grass down with me trying to stop that beast! so if the two wheels in the back with lots of traction on them couldn't stop it how are two wheels with zero traction on em gonna stop that beast? plus theirs not to much weight in the front of a z so that doesn't help ether!

hey ted slame those brakes on going down a 55 degree slope then i might be convinced!
Obviously the two wheels in the back didn't have a lot of traction. I've never slid a mower when the rear wheels have traction. It's only when they break loose is there a problem.

If I ever find myself nose-down a steep hill, which I try to avoid, but sometimes it's inevitable, I pretend I'm driving my truck on ice. Pull back the sticks in fast jerky motions, like pumping the brakes on a car. When somebody pulls the sticks back going down a hill, it's a guaranteed slide. The rear wheels are going too fast backward to stop the machine. In order to stop the machine, the tires need to be going the same speed as the machine. The tires are what make contact to the ground. If you can slow the tires, you can slow the machine.

In a slide, front brakes and controlled reversing sticks will stop almost all slides.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts

Tags
mower safety , zero turn mower brakes , ztr mower brakes