Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2009, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will take another drink after that one.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
I know who the major players are, but don't know if there is a new/smaller company that is hungry to get thier name out.
I interpret this as "race to the bottom" pricing. Stick with the big, established companies.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You pay a price for the cheaper pathlights... you get cheaper sockets..Cheaper wire to socket connections... Thinner material ... lower customer service etc. On pathlights especially the hat is often supported by glass which is a not something I normally would recomend using. Crappy ground stakes on some pathlights are even more of a headache.

I recently had an issue with a unique order in which I was shipped old stock on 3 items and a new item was drop shipped from unique. The one drop shipped did not match the others I got from my dist.

Joey made it right and overnighted me the right part. Even tho it was frustrating to me and caused another trip to the jobsite it was still a lifesaver I was able to text joey and get the right gear 24 hours later across the country.

Same goes for coppermoon and some other manufactures as well. Sometimes paying a few bucks more for a quality product and great service is well worth it. Think about it. You wouldnt miss an extra few bucks a fixture now.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The lighting professionals on here take great pride in the experience we have. when we try to give others the benefit of our experience, it often falls on deaf ears. Hear this, and try to understand. i have installed inexpensive fixtures in the past, 10 years, 20 years ago. they fail. You need to increase your budget if you want to stand behind the project. This is not an answer you want, but anyone with experience knows it is true. you do not have experience in theis area, so we are trying to help you. Go ahead and go online and search and buy.

And for the record, pumps do not all last about the same amount of time. I installed my first water feature over 15 years ago. I've tried several brands, and the good ones, the expensive ones, last 3-5 years plus running continuosly. the cheaper ones go out in less than a year. I know.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
The lighting professionals on here take great pride in the experience we have. when we try to give others the benefit of our experience, it often falls on deaf ears. Hear this, and try to understand. i have installed inexpensive fixtures in the past, 10 years, 20 years ago. they fail. You need to increase your budget if you want to stand behind the project. This is not an answer you want, but anyone with experience knows it is true. you do not have experience in theis area, so we are trying to help you. Go ahead and go online and search and buy.

And for the record, pumps do not all last about the same amount of time. I installed my first water feature over 15 years ago. I've tried several brands, and the good ones, the expensive ones, last 3-5 years plus running continuosly. the cheaper ones go out in less than a year. I know.
I appreciate your time and efforts. I just wanted to see if there are any manufacturers that I just didn't know about that had good product for a more reasonable price. Last year we did a patio with pillars and the customer could not make up his mind for the pillar lights. I showed hm Kichler, Hadco, and one other that I can't remember. After 3 day's of this nonsense I called a lighting guru locally and he referred me To Hanover lantern. Big mistake! 3weeks went by and my purchase order was lost and 3 weeks after that I finally had lights but no base. I got the bases 2 weeks later. My point here is the big names don't always have the best service. I'll be using the Kichler light that I spoke about since they are carried by my supplier locally.

Pumps, that's another thread in itself. ADI, Tsurumi, Savio, Atlantic. Each one has gone out in a year and each one has lasted 4-6 years in some situations. Thanks for everyone's time.