Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

My New Ferris IS2000. Deal or Nodeal?

First Post! I've been visiting/researching on Lawnsite for some time now but never posted.

I'm pretty sure this is a no brainer, but thought others might want to know the money that can be saved by buying at the right time. Ok, I'm just bragging but none of my none LCO friends care at all. In fact they think I'm crazy for spending $7699 for a mower. LOL.

New 09 Ferris IS2000
61" Deck (Older style)
30hp Vanguard
Michigan Suspension Seat
Extra set of Blades
Only $7699 + $50 for delivery.

Cheaper to have it delivered because of City Taxes (saved $130). Made for a long weekend though. I bought it on Friday and had to wait for them to deliver on Monday. It rides like a dream even in very rough terrain.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could they have just delivered off the property onto your trailer?

Seems like a very good price to me.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish it worked that way. The law is that you have to pay the tax rate of the city in which you take possesion. Since I had it delivered outside the city limits I saved 2.4% on the taxes.

Basically it goes like this:
2.4% of 7700= $184 (savings)
$184 - $50 (cost of delivery is nontaxable) = $134
extra 2 days wait = Torture
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane100 View Post
First Post! I've been visiting/researching on Lawnsite for some time now but never posted.

I'm pretty sure this is a no brainer, but thought others might want to know the money that can be saved by buying at the right time. Ok, I'm just bragging but none of my none LCO friends care at all. In fact they think I'm crazy for spending $7699 for a mower. LOL.
Not to rain on your parade or anything. I don't think you crazy for spending that much, I just think you're crazy for buying a Ferris. But that's just my .02 Good Luck with the new mower!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven386 View Post
Not to rain on your parade or anything. I don't think you crazy for spending that much, I just think you're crazy for buying a Ferris. But that's just my .02 Good Luck with the new mower!
Ok, I'll bite. What is it about Ferris that makes you think I'm crazy for buying one?

I assume you have owned/demoed them. I would like to hear about your experience, good or bad.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how Ferris holds up in the long run but the IS 2000 I tested rode great and the new style deck cuts very well. I don't think it would be great on hills and I prefer the newer deck but they seem like a solid unit for normal mowing (price sounds good but I would want the new deck).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

IOW, I can't afford one of those nice Ferris ZTR's so I'll just be a playah hater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven386 View Post

Kubota L-4610
2009 Ferris IS-5100Z 72'', 33.5 Cat Diesel
Stihl FS110R trimmer
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl BR 600
Stihl HL 100 Hedger
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
I don't know how Ferris holds up in the long run but the IS 2000 I tested rode great and the new style deck cuts very well. I don't think it would be great on hills and I prefer the newer deck but they seem like a solid unit for normal mowing (price sounds good but I would want the new deck).
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I wanted the new deck also, but they were almost $1500 more.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane100 View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What is it about Ferris that makes you think I'm crazy for buying one?

I assume you have owned/demoed them. I would like to hear about your experience, good or bad.

Thanks.
I demoed one a few years back, I had no idea they updated or changed the decks. As for the ride, at first I thought it was the bees knees. Then I demoed a Exmark with a suspension seat upgrade and it was the same exact thing. I think its just overrated.

As for the cut of the Ferris, it was just horrible. I couldn't compare it to any other mower we demoed. I found that it scalped a lot. I don't know if it was due to the suspension or the non-adjustable anti-scalp rollers but either way I had a lot of scalping. It couldn't handle tall grass, it just kept bogging down. The unit I demoed has a 30HP engine on it so it wasn't underpowered.

Like I said, at first I thought the suspension was amazing especially after demoing a Scag with no suspension seat. But once I sat my fat arse on a suspension seat the Ferris wasn't so impressive. Maybe the mower is good for you and your operation. But for me, it was not going to be the machine I purchased. It no where compared to the Exmark or Scag. Even the Lesco Z was better than the Ferris IMHO.

I ended up with a Exmark 60" Triton for $8500. The only reason I did not get a Scag was the price. I was quoted $11,500 with NO collection system. I paid that for the Exmark w/ ultravac, striping kit, and suspension seat.

But, thats me. I'm sure the mower will do great for you and I wish you the best of luck with it!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the Ferris that you bought, for that price, is a steal. Good buy! Enjoy your 4 wheel independant suspension. Make sure you tweak the suspension to fit your weight to get the most of it. Check out my post in the "videos, photos" section, I have a few lawns posted on there that I mowed with my Ferris. Been looking for some of Ravens to compare.

Tags
61" deck , best mower , ferris , is200 , ztr