Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler Problem

I have a 2006 exmark lazer hp with a kohler ch20s-65601. It just died on me today while mowing. If you wait a bit it will start back. If you try to start it right back it will just click. Any ideas what this may be?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

update: I mowed a little bit more just now and turned it off. Tried to turn it back on with the key and just a clicking sound. Took a screw driver and jumped the starter and it fired up. So would this be an ignition module problem. Theres 2 so Im assuming it would be the one on the starter side?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like it may be the coils goin bad if you have to wait and start it again. Restrorob maybe know the deff. answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I called a friend who is an excellent car mechanic and is knowledgeable in small engines. He said it sounded like the starter solenoid going out and I just happened to have one laying so I installed that. While doing so I noticed that the rubber coating on the wire that plugs into the solenoid had rubbed off so I taped that up as well. So far I havent had any problems but it was also pretty cool here this evening so we will see what tomorrow brings.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it isnt turning over the problem is definatly not the coils. The coils provide spark only, they do not have anything to do with the cranking circuit. Is the click coming out of the solonoid, fuel solonoid or out of the relay? If it is out of the solonoid then you are either gonna need a new solonoid or starter. If it is out of a relay or the fuel solonoid you might want to check the connections on the brake switch, key switch, handle switch, pto switch and time delay module. Also, have you checked to make sure the battery is fully charged and connections are tight?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Starter solenoid.

On that note, why don't you guys, when you "jump" it,
use the two prongs on the solenoid to do so?

That way you know right away if it's the culprit.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Starter solenoid.

On that note, why don't you guys, when you "jump" it,
use the two prongs on the solenoid to do so?

That's no fun..... Sparks don't go flyin that way !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok mowed all day with the temps in the mid 80s. It never shut down on its own but always had to restart it by jumping the starter unless it cooled down. Topsites I do use the 2 prongs on the solenoid. This is a new starter that I put on yesterday afternoon so unless it was bad right off the bad that cancels that out. Mowerknower the clicking is coming from the relays. I switched those out from my other mower and still no go. We are narrowing it down but still havent found it. Battery is full and good connection. Tried to jump it as well but still just the click. Where is the time delay module located?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate121080 View Post
Where is the time delay module located?

To my knowledge that has nothing to do with the start circuit, I'd take a look at/test the parking brake switch.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come to think of it you are right, normally if the time delay module fails it will start but die as soon as you release the parking brake. I tried to post a electrical diagram but Im not to computer savy. You can go to exmark.com and look it up. You have ruled out the starter, solonoid, and relays. The seat switch will not effect the starting so it is narrowed down to the brake switch, key switch, and the switches on the drive levers. What is getting me is that it is only when it warms up, that would lean me towards the pto switch.