Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you started now you might as well finish or all those bare areas will be filled with weeds.

More seed,more water..... repeat repeat repeat.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

its been a couple months....just curious how the repair job looks now that it has had time to fill in??
Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm very pleased with how much it has filled in given how late it was planted. Still have a few bare spots here & there but they are filling in pretty quick. In the bottom picture you can see a good size area in the middle that has been slower filling in. This is where the dump truck came through the yard with the top soil. The area was dragged & covered with top soil after the truck left. Not sure what was up with that.

So other than pulling crabgrass until my hands bled all is good. Thanks for asking. Scott

Last edited by avguy; 09-01-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not too bad of results for a seeding job.

Is the Fiance' happy with it ??

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That came out pretty good. The bare spots....problem with soil? Are you gonna seed those areas or wait for them to fill in? With proper care I think seeded bermuda makes a great lawn contrary to popular belief. Nice job!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post

Not too bad of results for a seeding job.

Is the Fiance' happy with it ??
She's ecstatic & If she's happy...I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
That came out pretty good. The bare spots....problem with soil? Are you gonna seed those areas or wait for them to fill in? With proper care I think seeded bermuda makes a great lawn contrary to popular belief. Nice job!
Not sure what the problem with the bare spots was but they are filling in. I expect they will all be filled in in another 30 days or so. I'm kind of anxious to see what it looks like next summer.

Thanks for the comments! Scott
Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad at all, that sprinkler must have been running 24/7.

Congrats.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
Not bad at all, that sprinkler must have been running 24/7.

Congrats.
As I said earlier I really got lucky as there was very little rain the 1st couple of weeks which allowed me to control how much water it got. I had some real concerns about erosion & there was a definite pucker factor anytime it did rain.

Water bill wasn't too bad....right at $100 over normal. Watered 3-5 times a day until it really started to come in then dropped to once a day. Thanks. Scott
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bravo! Congrats Scott. I am impressed. A steady diet of fertilizer will help it fill in faster--say every 30 days. Cut back when the mowing becomes burdensome, and it is thick enough. It is Ok to transplant some sprigs from thick areas to thin areas to help it fill in. You do not have to pull crabgrass. Cut it off flush to the soil with a saw-tooth steak knife or drywall saw. It is an annual; roots do not sprout. Local area guys can advise you on weed control and perhaps chemicals you can use on crabgrass--but calling a professional would be quicker.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For next year to avoid the crabgrass issues I would go over the lawn very carefully and mark any even slightly thin areas and overseed to fill them in. Do it like a grid after you mow or something to make sure you dont miss any spots. It might take some time but it isd better than having spots where crabgrass can come in next year.

Most of it looks pretty thick but I can see some areas that are thin from the pics. More than likely those will fill in through normal fertilization but why take that chance, just throw some seed in those spots to be SURE they fill in properly. Its an ideal time to do it right now.

If there are any thin areas like that next season that crabgrass will invade in a heartbeat, the best way to avoid that is to have the grass so thick it has no room to come in and ruin the work you have done.

Keep us posted.