Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2002, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Planting Tree's...too late???

How late in the season can you actually plant trees? I have a customer who wants 3 trees planted and I have been too busy to get to it. I told him I would take care of him before the season ends. I just don't want to plant 3 now and have them not take for next year. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2002, 05:57 PM

Plant them and water them until the ground freezes and they should make it just fine.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on the tree, probably don't want to plant Crepe Myrtles now, and some others.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 11-07-2002, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with planting this time of year ... water them in well. Probably 4 inches of frost here already. We will attempt to plant 6 more trees tomorrow. Managed to get about 20, 4-5 in cal. in at a customers house last week as well as a bunch of shrubs and smaller trees that we used a auger attachment on the bobcat to get into the ground with. It is slower going but it's great to still be making money.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Now is one of the best times to plant trees around here. Everything is dormant, so there is not much shock to the tree. I would watch out for some trees which are considered fall planting hazards (ask at the nursery). Some people jackhammer frost to plant during winter- and with great success.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Fall through Spring-Natures Planting Time" That was the theme of an advertising campaign tree growers used in the Nursery Biz here to sell trees.And its right,little transplanting shock and no need to water through the winter or spring usually.Summer is the hard months to plant in.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

It is generally not a good idea to plant trees if the ground freezes regularly where you are.

Otherwise, if you live in a climate where it doesn't freeze much in the winter, now is a great time to plant.