Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I watched all of the videos on the Pro Landscape website... How do you like the software? Looks great in the videos, and the photos that you posted look great too.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really like the program.

Just like anything else, it took some time getting up to speed with all the capabilities of the program.

Some designers don't like Pro, but, I honestly haven't used any other programs so I can't compare it to anything else.

I wish they would package the software a little better though. Like stated before, I don't use the planner and the proposal side of the program and is almost a waste of space on my computer. It would be nice to just purchase those individually.

You can almost get the same results using photo-shop, but, Pro is specifically catered to landscape designers, so there are features that are not available on photo shop, such as the all the landscaping images. Anything else I need to do that Pro doesn't, then I use Art Weaver (free photo-shop style program) to fill in the gaps if there are any.

Ultimately, my customers love the fact that I can visually put things into perspective for them. The last thing I wanted to do as a scaper was to impose my creative will on the customer without them knowing what things were going to turn out like. With Pro, we all can agree on what will look good.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm working on the project from post #138.

The husband works as a chemical applicator and drive one of these for a living. Those things are sweet as the chassis has a roll-off system so they can spread dry materials or spray liquid.

Name:  Terra.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  54.0 KB

His in-laws are also farmers and they own a 4-wheel monster truck looking floater that they spread lime and fertilizer with. So, they own an N-loader, or wheel loader to load that truck (what-ever you want to call it).

So I ask him if he has a tractor and loader on his farm that he could bring over to help pull stumps to save him money and me the hassle of renting a machine.

He had no problems bringing over one of these.

Name:  10248969_1_B.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  41.8 KB

Little overkill, but got the job done. I think he wanted an excuse to rut the front yard so it would need new sod.

I will say though, it almost struggled for a split second, and I mean a split second, pulling a mugo pine in the before pics.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Current design, a few changes on suggestion from AZ.

Attachment 159331
how do you like the computer design and are they hard to figure out??? thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You gotta love those big machines!!! My uncle has thousands of acres of farm land and its a privilege to work with him when I can because the machines are so awesome! I may just quit landscaping and start farming!! haha

That program is expensive!! Worth it?? I think it may make selling jobs easier...? What version are you running?

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagmower View Post
how do you like the computer design and are they hard to figure out??? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
You gotta love those big machines!!! My uncle has thousands of acres of farm land and its a privilege to work with him when I can because the machines are so awesome! I may just quit landscaping and start farming!! haha

That program is expensive!! Worth it?? I think it may make selling jobs easier...? What version are you running?

Read Post #152 on this page. That's about the best I can describe the program.

Yes it is worth it. It definitively helps to sell the job. I've picked up customers that wasn't impressed with standard designs they had done for them and the program helps but things into perspective easily so they are confident that it will turn out great in the end.

Andy, don't start farming, generally not any more money in it than Landscaping. That's the reason I didn't stay home on the farm.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I haven't taken too many progress pics of this project only because I really didn't want to deal with the camera.

I took a few photos today of some of the quality White Gardens landscaping.

I'm on day five with two of those days being half days.

First pic is of the north side. No fabric, just the north side of the house where the HO has Some nice hostas and plants inpatients in between every year. It looked great before I chopped everything down (to fix the grade) and tore out the plastic edging. The bricks went smooth, and that side isn't so obvious so it was a good starting point to lay bricks. I needed a little practice before I went to the front.

Name:  Elgin.b.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  70.2 KB

Second pic is of the front. In order to get my run started I had to break away concrete that was used as a restraint for the paver side-walk. Luckily I was mortaring in the brick, so I was able to repair the side-walk.

Name:  Elgin.a.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  56.6 KB

Third pic is of the finished edging. I must say those curves look sweet. I also talked the HO into letting me turn their Dwarf Blue Spruce into a topiary. It was going to get way too tall there any way, so I just topped it and limbed it up. I think I'm also going to put a Blue Chip Juniper under it.

Name:  Elginc.jpg
Views: 3714
Size:  62.2 KB

Here is that last pic. The HO decided to use a rustic block for a border against the parking next to the road. I hand picked 50 feet of it. The block is very irregular and jagged so I tried to find the most square pieces, but I still had to cut most of them in order to not have large gaps when I go to butt them together. Luckily when I pulled the RR ties it left a nice trench to start with so I won't have to dig so much out.

I'll post the finish picks after the sod is laid next Weds.

Name:  Elgin.d.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  62.4 KB

Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, Just pulled a 12 hour day.

I laided 2 tons of rock, then proceeded to lay all the block along the drive.

It took 11 bags of Type s-mortar with re-bar.

I turned around and finished the edging, then went and got my tiller to till the areas that are going to need sod.

The forecast called for rain and I'm glad I busted tail to get all my dirt work done as the skies have just opened up.

Now, I'm relaxing . I'm up to 4 beers now, and feeling great, and confrontational.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another Quality Landscape by White Gardens.

Finished up today. I woke up this morning and went over and blew out the joints of the paver sidewalk. Waited three hours for it to dry, then I installed the Poly-Sand for the paver joints. It really cleaned it up well and the HO will get a few more years out of it. I wanted to lift and re-set some of the blocks, but the main problem is that the soldier course has settled and degraded. The soldier course is set in a large concrete restrained, so by the time I would have fixed it, I could have done the same job with new pavers.

Took a few days longer than I wanted, but with Labor Day being last Mon, 2 inches of rain in the middle, and my sod not being delivered until yesterday, it stretched out a little.

Name:  Elgin1.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  266.8 KB

Name:  Elgin2.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  215.9 KB

Name:  Elgin3.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  298.3 KB

Name:  Elgin4.jpg
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  Elgin5.jpg
Size:  110.6 KB

Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya !!!!!!

Finally have got the go ahead to start on the project that I posted designs for on post #64.

The patio won't be done this year, but %90 of the sidewalk will be done, (250 feet), and one of the ledges along with doing the planting against the foundation.

This will be a great project to finish off the season........