Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Lazer HP Shutting Down?

I have a Exmark Lazer HP with a 23HP Kawi engine. Going back to last season the guys would use it and it would just shut down as if it were out of fuel...sometimes it would do it twice a day and sometimes 20? It would start back up sometimes quicker than others and the guys swear that it starts up faster if they shake it...that would lead me to believe its a safety switch or short somewhere. I've brought it to the dealer and been told all the switches have been tested and there is no short and then told that they contacted Kawasaki and were told to run test on the engine and that the engine needed to be replaced due to lack of power. The machine has 1600 hours and shows no lack of power in fact seems to have great power...I've normally gotten at least 2500 hours out of these engines before they begin to lose their pop. This makes no sense to me...has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks for your input.

J
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

hey, Just figured i would ask. When is the last time you changed your fuel filter, oil, air filter, spark plugs.

Also have you ever ran a fuel system cleaner through it.

Does it just stop or seems like it ran out of fuel or bogs down and stalls.

lax
Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply...all of the maintenance is up to date...I have tried the fuel filter and plugs most recently but same results...I've never ran any kind of cleaner through it. When it dies it just dies...no sputtering, skipping or warning...just shuts down. Engine never knocks or shows any sign of wear.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey do you have a start stop switch on there. Or an emergency stop. This sounds like there is an electrical problem. Maybe a ground is loose.

lax
Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Check the connections on your battery and I was having the same kind of problem with one of our scags but it was just the safety switch under the seat.. Good luck. I would definately try everything before I replaced the motor. Sounds like they are trying to make money off of you.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer ZHP. It has only 50 hours on it. It is last years model and I picked it up this spring. It just started shutting down when it starts getting warmed up (Maybe 10 minutes of mowing, faster when I am mowing taller grass). Well anyway, if I let it sit for 5 minutes or so, it starts up like nothing happened or is wrong. Then give it 5-10 minutes or so, then it chugs to a stop again. I can maybe fiddle with the choke or stop the blade to keep it going a few seconds longer. When it does this, I just need to let it sit a few minutes. My dealer is 100 miles away. He is not sure what it could be by speaking to him over the phone. It is getting to be a hassle waiting on this machine. Between my regular job and mowing, I just can't take off to get it fixed. Somebody thought it might be the coil. It does seem to fire as I checked this when it was in its "not starting warm" mode.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortonmowing View Post
I have a Lazer ZHP. It has only 50 hours on it. It is last years model and I picked it up this spring. It just started shutting down when it starts getting warmed up (Maybe 10 minutes of mowing, faster when I am mowing taller grass). Well anyway, if I let it sit for 5 minutes or so, it starts up like nothing happened or is wrong. Then give it 5-10 minutes or so, then it chugs to a stop again. I can maybe fiddle with the choke or stop the blade to keep it going a few seconds longer. When it does this, I just need to let it sit a few minutes. My dealer is 100 miles away. He is not sure what it could be by speaking to him over the phone. It is getting to be a hassle waiting on this machine. Between my regular job and mowing, I just can't take off to get it fixed. Somebody thought it might be the coil. It does seem to fire as I checked this when it was in its "not starting warm" mode.
That sound like the coils are going out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.