Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

30 Hp Bulldozer

Any Info on the 30 hp bulldozers sold by northern tool? Looks like it would be handy for boxing out driveways, sidewalks, and doing fine grading for new homes, or re-lawns. Also has a category 1 3pt. hitch with a 540/1000 rpm PTO, and a backhoe attachment is also available. Any recomendations, or contradictions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

brand? service availability? parts availability? is 30 hp enough???
Old 11-05-2002, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

EquipNut, have you ever wondered why Cat dozers have the highest horsepower to weight ratio in the business? Because ability to work is related to Hp and torque. I have spent the better part of my life moving soil, and I say do not go near one of these chinese piece of junk machines at all. Remember, with earth moving equipment, you get what you pay for. Don't do it, you will regret it.
Oh, by the way, the smallest Cat dozer, a D3, is pushing 65hp.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I kinda knew these were made in China, so I did a little research. Parts are available in the US but major components would have to be ordered from China as of now. Filters, hoses, belts are available at NAPA. Also I have contacted the manufacturer in China - Golden Horse Machinery. The technology, and tolerence standards used to build these is American. Much like the under 45hp compact tractors imported by New Holland, John Deere, Kubota, Kioti, and some gray market lines. They guarantee that the fit, and finish are very comparable to the big 3. Also these are able to purchased direct. The dozer for $8500, and the 8' backhoe with choice of bucket for $2250. For what I would use this for I think 30hp would be enough as it's only 64" wide. Haven't really made a decision yet though because I don't like the idea of purchasing from such a distant place. Their warranty is 1 year and backed by them as well as the US through the imported warranted products office. If they don't back it their right to export to the US could be severely compromised. Just thought I'd pass this along. Please, no bashing for this. Thanks
Old 11-11-2002, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to bash you about this either. I have seen them in their catalog also. Realistically, if you think it would work for you and your application, go for it. You obviously know it's a residential toy and could only be used for that. I just started looking at Jonh Deere's 450 dozer, it's their smallest, and it prices out at about $65,000 and higher depending on options. You do the math here. You wont be doing grading work all day all year with a $8500 dozer. But it may be enough for what you need it to do.

Personally, for the work that that machine could perform only, you'd be better off with a skidsteer with better mobility and more versatility.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Personally, for the work that that machine could perform only, you'd be better off with a skidsteer with better mobility and more versatility.

Thats what I was thinking myself. You can probobly get a tractor or a large skid steer, or maybe even a small loader for a comparable price.

They would push just as well as that mini-dozer and could do so much more with such less hassle.

The more use you can get out of one machine, the more money it will bring in. Like Randy said, you won't be able to use that on a daily basis without having some problems, plus its limited in what it can do.

Good Luck on your decision though, let us know what you end up with!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I already own a B7500 Kubota tractor with an fel and R4 tires. It definitely runs out of traction before it runs out of hp.

I am just a home owner with a large (6.4) acres of lawn. 9 acres of tilled farm, and 8 acres of woods. The little dozer would be used for cleaning up the edges of my lawn, digging water, and electric lines for my out buildings, grading the edge of the pond when the water table receedes in the fall, planting trees, grading stone for my 450+ foot driveway, plowing snow in the winter, clearing a laneway in my woods for hunting, and other miscellanous tasks that homeowners engage in around their homes. It would not be used commercially.

I found a website that advertises this machine for $15999.00 without the backhoe at small dozer.com. If I used it for what I needed to do around my home, kept it good condition and it remained reliable. I believe I could resell it for more than my original investment. Still in the decision mode at this time though.

Again thanks for all of your thoughts and opinions.