Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2002, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Used GMC 4000 Forward Diesel?

Is anyone familiar with the GMC diesel 4000 cabover trucks? I saw one today that another landscaping outfit is selling and I'm looking for some feedback from anyone familiar with this model. Is this an Isuzu?

Looks o.k., a little rough around the edges and needs all new tires. Havent' talked to the owner yet or fired it up. It looks to be about 10 years old or so, 110,000 miles (if I read the odometer correctly through the window.) Decals on it say "electromatic" and "Inskip Turbo". It's got a 10 ft dump bed in pretty good shape. Cab has some dents/repairs and a little rust. Interior looked pretty gross.

Asking price is $6,750. Fair price? Seemed low to me. I can't buy a Ford 350 dump for that around here. I would definitely have my mechanic check it out before handing over the cash. Any idea what the GVWR is? I'm guessing somewhere between 12 and 14,000 lbs.

Thanks for any imput.

Darryl
Old 11-13-2002, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds alittle high to me, we get the about the same thing with chemlawns fiberglass beds on um four around 3500-4000 with no rust or anything. i guess i depends what the dump bed is worth?
Old 11-13-2002, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trimmaster - Thanks for the quick reply. Are they decent trucks? I've looked into the Isuzu NPR's and Mitsubishi Fuso FE and FG series trucks but don't really know anything about these.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

If it says electromatic is got a automatic tranny and with it being behind the little anemic 4 cylinder I hope you don't have the need for speed or do alot of highway travel. These trucks have real bad RUST problems in the cab dept I would check the cab throughly the fenders rot off. The W-4000 isn't a heavy truck if I was gonna look for a GMC COE it would be a W-5000 with the 5spd a much heavier truck and I think a larger engine. The gvw on a W-4000 is something like 14,000 pounds about the same as a F-450 Ford.

The other problems with these truck is the rear spring hangers wear fast I would check ou the rear springs etc, cracked wheels is another problem look around the wheel studs for cracks.

You said it needs tires you really gotta run a good commercial tire on the front like a Goodyear G159LT as these truck seem to wear steer tires fast.

I would look around and see if the price they are asking is par for your area.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gravel Rat - Thanks for the info. That's exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. Not expecting much highway or speedy driving, but it will need to tow a 5 ton dump/equipment trailer. With an auto and small engine, that might be asking a bit much?
Old 11-14-2002, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Ya you will be pushing the limits of the poor Isuzu engine trying to pull a trailer the drive train will handle it a F-450 F-550 would run circles around the GMC

These little COEs shine in the P+D truck usage they can dart in and out of traffic and squeeze into tight spaces where a F-450 can't go.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I'm pushing it with my 1985 Chevy K-20 w/ a 350 4bl now sometimes. I'm trying to get away from that.

I looked for trucks early this fall, then decided I didn't want to pay insurance it etc. on another vehicle over the winter. This one caught my eye on the side of the road though. I'm a one man show with 2 company vehicles already. The Taurus wagon is for errands and sales calls. My wife also has 2 vehicles and I've got another on a dealer lot on consignment. For now, the wife's 2002 VW van is my backup towing vehicle, believe it or not. I tried it once and it pulled and stopped well. Of course, I wasn't pullin' 5 tons.

I guess I'll skip this truck, unless I can get it for a price I can't refuse. I would be nice to have some horses under the hood!