Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2009, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cool California Trimmer front throw mower (now eastman)

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a California trimmer front throw reel for hybrid Bermuda, Zoysia, Paspalum, and other stolonus growth grasses. I currently own a tru-cut 25 inch and it is what I would consider a very well made mower. However, it is wearing out. I am curious in the new Eastman mowers/cal trimmer mowers. They seem just as good if not better made than the tru-cut, they can cut closer than the tru-cut, the roller drive is nice (doesn't peel-out), and trimmer has been made for a very long time. My grandfather has owned a 20" home owner model trimmer for many, many, many years and it is still living and still cuts nicely. What are your feelings on this mower? Would you go tru-cut or trimmer? I get the feeling I'm comparing Toyota and Nissan...

Specs:
http://norwalkpower.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=3559

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

They are nice, although I don't know about height adjustment, I think you take a bolt out of each side for the front wheels. If you use the self propel, it just takes off very fast.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
What are your feelings on this mower? Would you go tru-cut or trimmer?
I have pretty strong feelings about this mower. California Trimmer has been around since 1938 before selling the business to Eastman Industries recently. Before being bought up by Eastman, they were always made here in Fresno, CA. My Grandfather bought one in 1942 and I have it now. The mower frame is made of heavy gage steel and has outlasted several engines. Some of the structural frame members are as thick as 3/8 of an inch, solid mild steel.

I have 5 of these mowers including one commercial 25" that I'm restoring. They were made in a Home Owner 20 inch, a Heavy Duty 20 inch, and a 25 inch Heavy Duty Commercial. The only difference between the Home Owner model and the Heavy Duty model is the clutch mechanism -- the Heavy Duty model and Commercial model uses all chains and an automotive type clutch disc, to where as the Home Owner model uses a combination of chains and belts using a belt and pulley arrangement for the blade and clutch drive .

The blade and drive wheel are engaged at the same time by the lever on the upper left, and then you lower the drive wheel onto the turf by the T handle lever in the middle.

The commercial model in the picture of the first post has a lever at the lower right side of the mower -- that's the blade hight adjustment -- you have a choice of 8 height settings.

These mowers are primarily used for a Bermuda turf cut to a short length of 3/4 inch.

I should say that I haven't used an Eastman produced Trimmer yet, but I suspect the quality is the same has when Trimmer was California Trimmer. They changed the paint scheme from a Fidel Castro green to more of a darker gloss green metallic. The very first color from 1938 was a U.S. Army Jeep green.

By the way, I was planning on lurking on this site forever, but this thread has brought me out of the woodwork.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for the input! I am going to use this mower to try to pick up some accounts, I own one of the 20" homeowner models that I am restoring too. Hahaha "Fidel Castro green" That's an accurate example. I would use the homeowner model, but the 20" cut and the clutch is not the best for daily use. I'm excited for this fall when I can buy the Eastman! The Honda gx160 is a big plus, I also like how low you can go with one of these. I will be cutting Bermuda and SeaDwarf Paspalum with this mower.

Thanks,

Corey
Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
Thank you for the input!
You're very welcome

If you have anymore questions, just ask.

PS. Eastman is not currently producing the home owner model; so if you need parts, get them while you can.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have both Tru-cuts and Trimmers and some old Pro Masters too, my personal favorite.

Big adjustment going from the Tru-cut to the Trimmer. You are used to pushing down on the handles of the T/C's to turn, and you do that with the Trimmer and it will take off on you due to the rear drive roller.

The trimmer is all or none on the self propelled part unless you want to steer with one hand and hold that t handle with the other, so its much more difficult to control the speed. Unlike the thumb control on the Tru-cut.

I have 2-25" trimmers in great condition I will sell if you want them that's my opinion.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
The trimmer is all or none on the self propelled part unless you want to steer with one hand and hold that t handle with the other, so its much more difficult to control the speed.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't figure out what you're talking about. I never hold onto the T- handle until I'm ready to raise or lower the drive wheel, which is at the beginning and end of a row.

Most of the time I have my right hand on the left side of the handle as I walk along the left side of the machine. When I'm almost at the end of a row and it's about time to turn around, I grab the T-handle and let the mower keep propelling itself forward and let it pull the drive wheel lever back on its own -- then I flick it around and start the next row. Those Trimmers are extremely agile, well balanced, and maneuverable; it's like a hand tool that fits your hand real well.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I have both Tru-cuts and Trimmers and some old Pro Masters too, my personal favorite.

Big adjustment going from the Tru-cut to the Trimmer. You are used to pushing down on the handles of the T/C's to turn, and you do that with the Trimmer and it will take off on you due to the rear drive roller.

The trimmer is all or none on the self propelled part unless you want to steer with one hand and hold that t handle with the other, so its much more difficult to control the speed. Unlike the thumb control on the Tru-cut.

I have 2-25" trimmers in great condition I will sell if you want them that's my opinion.
I dont mean to hi-jack this thread as I am a brand new fan of a Cal Trimmer I picked up recently. I would be VERY interested in the two 25" that you would not hesistate to sell.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$800 for the pair includes catchers, you pay for shipping.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
$800 for the pair includes catchers, you pay for shipping.

Ohhhhhhh, I didnt think you were that hot on Trimmers? That seems a little proud of them to me.

1.How old?
2.Any pics?
3.Can you take a pic of how much reel is left before the rivets on the spyder? Just so I know how much life is left to grind.
4.B&S or Honda?

Tags
eastman , front throw , honda , mower , reel