Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-15-2002, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the replies.
Let me first say I support and abide by the insurance requirements and the amounts needed as this will help eliminate the 'scrubs'.

Some issues that I do have are:
1. It has been on the books since 1992 and enforcement is zero.
I asked to see the list of businesses that have applied for the permit and was told there is no list and they do not even have permits to distribute.
2. There is no mention of treating or caring for lawns. The State's requirements for lawn care liability insurance is drastically lower.
3. Other service businesses are not regulated by this liability requirement. It seems discriminatory towards our industry.
4. There is no mention as to how enforcement will be handled.
Who will enforce it, what are the fines, etc.?

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

No thanks lawn choupique, I like it just fine way up north.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the insurance requirement. 200 a year for a business liscence would make me cry! I unfortunately work in in three diffrent cities. Would you be required to carry three diffrent liscense? Maybe I do not want to know.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

IN THEORY it all maysound wel ands good, but BELIEVE me the LAST thing that we need is to have an onslaught of gov'tal regulations driving down production.

Many here seem to carry about $500k as a standard insurance policy. I personally have a $2M policy because of Commercial/Industrial sites that we maintain.

The thing that you guys need to keep in mind with these ordinances is that it starts out with you need a permit to work inside city limits ($25) -- THEN they add the insurance clause (Policy basically doubles) -- THEN its work cannot be rendered before 7am or after 7pm M-F or (after 5pm on weekends) -- Next thing you know they'll be out with scales for the weight of your trucks to make sure your not OVERLOADED during the busiest months!!! etc. etc. etc.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Regarding the workmens comp. requirement, what if you're a sole proprietor or LLC with no employess. Do they exempt you from the workmens comp. requirement? I don't think it's fair for anyone to tell me that I have to insure myself for a million in case I hurt myself while working for MY business.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't mind applying for a town business license if the guy was ever in his office!

And in my town, they already have a noise ordenance that states you can't work before 7AM and past 7PM etc. They just made that one up recently. But then again, who the heck works outside those hours anyhow most of the time?