Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2009, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm missing something; are there hose bibs at the islands now?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry but there is nothing at the islands yet. I am starting from scratch. I need to run a hose from inside the wash to each island.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Where in Bryan are you at? I used to live on 2818 and Villa Maria. Give Jim a call with Landscape Traditions and he will take care of you. Don't run a hose to each island... you need to go under the pavement with pipes and go from there.

I would say either do it right... or keep watering by hand.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post

I would say either do it right... or keep watering by hand.
Words to live by.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

rhino...

thinking more about your questions. I would fill in those islands with Bull Rock. it's very common in the BCS area, and looks great. Maybe add some Texas Sage, Red Yuccas in the islands. No need to irrigate those plants after a month of initial establishment of watering by hand. You will get the exact look you want (beauty), and eliminate the need to mow the grass (labor your guys could be washing cars).

It should have a great ROI, and look ALOT NICER than turf (weeds). Soil in the BCS area is extremely deflocculated due to the hi pH and lots of salts in the water. (aka, bad quality water for irrigation). Irrigate as little as possible, or you will end up killing the plants more than likely.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
rhino...

thinking more about your questions. I would fill in those islands with Bull Rock. it's very common in the BCS area, and looks great. Maybe add some Texas Sage, Red Yuccas in the islands. No need to irrigate those plants after a month of initial establishment of watering by hand. You will get the exact look you want (beauty), and eliminate the need to mow the grass (labor your guys could be washing cars).

It should have a great ROI, and look ALOT NICER than turf (weeds). Soil in the BCS area is extremely deflocculated due to the hi pH and lots of salts in the water. (aka, bad quality water for irrigation). Irrigate as little as possible, or you will end up killing the plants more than likely.
somwhere in the distance, a kiril sheds a tear of joy as the student now becomes the teacher.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

common sense and environmental responsibility will keep you busy. Not to toot my own horn, but just by explaining "hydrozones" to a customer, we were able to land a 20 zone job to a customer when the other contract was $5,000 cheaper. 20k vs 15k.

confidence breathes success. If you are "the best" you indirectly show that to the customer, and they are yours for life. Just ask Peter. He is the best, and his customers know it.

Lush turf and tons of flowers is not always the best thing. If I could eliminate all the turf on my 1AC. lot I would. It just wouldnt look right. However I am putting in a 1000 sq ft bed on my side yard since I found a way to add more perennials and low water usage grasses. makes me happy to get rid of that stupid turf...
www.eagle-irrigation.com

Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
somwhere in the distance, a kiril sheds a tear of joy as the student now becomes the teacher.
I broke down when I read it. It took me nearly a full day to recover.