Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Certain Kind of Phosphorus

I was listening to the radio the other day, and we get some AG commercials occasionally.

There was one add promoting a phosphorus product that was guaranteed to not bind in the soil and basically is more readily available for plants.

Didn't know if any of you guys have heard anything about this and what it is?

I know CEC's work in conjunction with binding nutrients, so I was wondering how the product worked around this.

Thanks.

N. White

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's not a kind of phos but an additive thats added to phos ferts, the product is negatively charged like phos and surrounds the phosphate ion, the other cations in the soil bind to the product instead of the phos? ive not seen this product blended to fert for sale only the raw product, but im sure somebody is selling it blended??? don't know ? haven't seen it locally.

the raw product is very very expensive, like 800 for 5 g. ,the company that makes this product make a nitrogen stabilizer too
Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingdeeprootsorganicly View Post
it's not a kind of phos but an additive thats added to phos ferts, the product is negatively charged like phos and surrounds the phosphate ion, the other cations in the soil bind to the product instead of the phos? ive not seen this product blended to fert for sale only the raw product, but im sure somebody is selling it blended??? don't know ? haven't seen it locally.

the raw product is very very expensive, like 800 for 5 g. ,the company that makes this product make a nitrogen stabilizer too
Well, If I don't hear the commercial again then I might ask a local AG applicator if he has heard of such a product.

I think it's just a curiosity factor more than anything else. 9 times out of ten I don't seem to have nutrient uptake issues.

Thanks for the response.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.