Register free!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I keep forgetting we are now maximum security, politically correct, no accountability, non-thinking society that feels that corn flakes are toxic to children.

I think that a baby can't get enough cornmeal off the lawn, to be toxic. period. Some of you may feel that it is toxic, but can't prove it. Enter- emotional hyperbole.

Personal attacks and "Everything is toxic" logic. HMMMM
If everything is poison then why bother discriminating between what is good and what is unnecessarily stupid?
Oh, that's right - we can't discriminate. It's not nice.

Attorneys will find traces of corn meal from your lawn, in the baby, and 'prove' that is why the baby is sick.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Smallaxe;3189639]I think that a baby can't get enough cornmeal off the lawn, to be toxic. period. ]

I was thinking the same thing about standard dry ferts...unless of course the baby looks and acts like a chicken specifically pecking around in the lawn for granules to eat...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We all know that there is a level of risk to any product we apply. Organic or synthetic. The level of that risk depends on how the products are applied and if the label was followed. ( fertilizers watered in may pose no explicit risk) An organic compound may be a reduced risk fertilizer to some, but in the end fertilizer is fertilizer. If you have never had a complaint regarding exposure to, or contact with fertilizer from your customers consider yourselves lucky. It can happen. Especially with pets. Years ago I heard of company that had spilled fert in a cul du sac in a subdivision. ( they did not clean up the spill) Seems a few the youngsters thought that the stuff was pretty colored candy. Good thing it wasn't't milorganite. That stuff could kill you with all the heavy metals in it.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
... Good thing it wasn't't milorganite. That stuff could kill you with all the heavy metals in it.
Really?!?! How many ppms of which metals? Another old wives tale spread around.

There has to be some danger in soybean meal on the ground, because there has to be. Everything is dangerous to some extent. The whole world is now paranoid.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Axe, Don't think that I am bashing organics here because I'm really not. Organics are an acceptable medium for most lawn care programs. As I have said I have used organic fertilizers. The problem I have here is that organics in this thread were said to absolutely risk free. I would never suggest such a thing to our customers or advise somebody looking for information on what to tell their customers. ( the original thread ). My comments on Milorganite and heavy metals was merely poking fun at the product. As you may know heavy metals ( trace amounts ) are found in a vareity of organic and synthetic fertilizers. The heavy metal levels in Milorganite are less than 1%.However, the product does meet EPA requirements. Milorganite a product that is made from human waste and sewer sludge and anything else that gets dumped down the drain really should not be said to be risk free. The experts are even finding pharmaceuticals in waste water now. YIKES!!!! I might also mention that the State of California has found that Milorganite does contain detectable levels of chemicals know to cause cancer, birth defects etc.... The soybean meal may be a the better way to go. Unless of course your allergic . There was a study from the USDA a while back that said 6 to 8% of children had some sort of soy allergy and 2% of the adults in the U.S. did also. How safe is safe?
Old 09-19-2009, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsDet View Post
that crap is toxic for everyone man. I know people who have gotten bone cancer due to weed whipping with shorts and the fertilizer getting on their skin and scrapes on their legs.
And what is the name of this weed whipping cancer?!

havent heard of that one yet.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do earthworm secretions in fact, attract poisonous metals, and thus make it easier for plants to absorb these toxic metals. Then we eat the plants.!!!! Just curious since we are on the subject of toxins............and didn't mean to highjack the topic.!!
I am completely confident that this earth will rid of us one day!! With the help of mankind, it will be quicker!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

treegal, claimed that earthworms detoxify soils and store the heavy metals in their bodies.