Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I personally like the Violas better than the big bloom Pansies because they are a little tougher in my area. I will start to install next week and the over seeding as well. I like to start as soon as we have temps from 60's night and low 80's day. This time of the year in my area is like a second spring.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have went through about 600 mums and 400 kale so far and many more to go. They are big sellers around here.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lee,
Yes, annuals are an integral part of our seasonal color accounts. We don't sell quite like we used to with the promotional sales of Lowe's and Home Depot. IF you have a local wholesales nursery, then you can make a substancial profit on the flats and other plants.
Our customers are buying the plants themselves and we are providing the labor. There are the other majority that will pay for the delivery and installation.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Lee,
Yes, annuals are an integral part of our seasonal color accounts. We don't sell quite like we used to with the promotional sales of Lowe's and Home Depot. IF you have a local wholesales nursery, then you can make a substancial profit on the flats and other plants.
Our customers are buying the plants themselves and we are providing the labor. There are the other majority that will pay for the delivery and installation.
Agree.

A few of my customers like to piddle around and add to the landscape, Annuals are an easy way for them to feel that they aren't completely out of touch with their landscape when I do all the weeding and major plantings.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

down here in the "winter," impatiens are the cat's meow for everyone. everyone and their mom plants these. im not crazy for em, but the new guinea impatiens, which are pricier are pretty nice. if you can get people to have you do it, it's just another great way to put extra coin in your pocket. i hope i can get more of this and tree trimming and some nice landscaping jobs this winter when the cutting really slows down....
Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So would this work decently for a large container? Center piece either snap dragons or dianthus, surround plants cabbage or kale, and then pansies on the outside edge? Just keep the pansies pinched back so they don't get much height and let them drape the sides? Would that work? If not would someone be so kind as to correct me. I have researched mums and i see that frost will burn them extremely bad. Many say to plant them anyways and just later replace them with decorative pumpkins and gourds.

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"