Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx315 View Post
Ham, The motor is getting hot. It's so hot you can't lay your hand on it for more than a second or two.
Iíve seen motors at very low load (e.g. 10%) get hot because their efficiency drops like a stone and their power factor goes to crap. Also, incorrectly wired motors run hot, and motors with extra resistance because of really bad seals, alignment issues, or internal issues (including in the pump) can run hot. It would be good to start with the pumpís flow, pressure, voltage, current, and power factor data to make sure there isnít an obvious pump or motor issue. If youíre off the pump curve or in the cavitation range then you know you need to change either the pump or piping system.

But sure, you could go out there and start "trying stuff" until you get it working suitably. But wouldnít it be better if you looked at the pump curve that you're dealing with so that you know ahead of time where the pump will operate comfortably and where it will not?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did some thinking last night and that pressure seemed really high for a 1 hp pump, so I went by this morning and got the numbers off the pump. I caught the homeowner there and got him to shut the breaker off for the pump. I drained the pump and the pressure guage never went below 59 psi, so that pump is way off on the pressure. Should have known to look at that first but didn't know where the breaker was and assumed the guage was right... and we all know what they say about assuming things. You were dead on...New game plan