Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Shaping ligustrums?

Do you guys shape your ligustrum trees? Most of my accounts that have them have been shaped by the previous LCO, but I have about a dozen new accounts where they hadn't been touched. I personally like the natural lightly pruned look as apposed to the closer shaped tree, which down here 90% are that way. I like the fact that I don't have to go in and trim twice a month to keep things tight. I know its healthier too.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Do you guys shape your ligustrum trees? Most of my accounts that have them have been shaped by the previous LCO, but I have about a dozen new accounts where they hadn't been touched. I personally like the natural lightly pruned look as apposed to the closer shaped tree, which down here 90% are that way. I like the fact that I don't have to go in and trim twice a month to keep things tight. I know its healthier too.
I mostly hand prune my ligustrum. (like you do) I dont like the way they look when they are trimmed with a hedge trimmer.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Light pruning here as well, they will put out a nice flower set in May or June if you don't constantly hack them back.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Light pruning here as well, they will put out a nice flower set in May or June if you don't constantly hack them back.
Hey thanks for the tip I forgot about the flowers they put out.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

EVERYBODY down here NEVER lets them flower or grow out like they should. They are cut twice/month with trimmers and imo look terrible. I say hand prune them and set yourself apart from the pack. Most of your customers probably don't know they flower cause most LCO's will never let them get to that point.

I have really started hand pruning a lot of plants as opposed to using the trimmers. If it has a flower, I will def. hand prune it. Things like trinette, arbicola, podocarpus i will hit with the trimmers, but anything that flowers gets the felco's. I like the natural look waaay more than the boxy look. Heck, you'll see a lot of guys hack back plumbago to the point where it doesn't even show a flower. There is absolutely no point in doing that, just makes the plant look stupid.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of those flower. Arbocola has some very nice orange seads. I hand prune those a few times a year. I cut a few back hard as to get intererior growth. That way it never looks trimmed. Things like hibiscus get a real hard triming in late winter then light shaping the rest of the year. Alot of my plants get hard pruned once a year so as to keep the height controled with out constant triming
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com