Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2002, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Safety Programs

Does anyone have safety programs in place? I just registered for COR ... A certificate of recognition. As well as improving workplace safety, you can qualify for up to 20% DISCOUNT from workmans compensation rates. These are the steps I have to take. I start taking the courses on NOV 27th.

STEP 1 – Have an Active Alberta WCB account and register the company in the program.

STEP 2 – Have at least one full-time employee complete the following core courses:

Principles of Health & Safety Management – A one-day course designed to help the company develop and implement a health & safety program.

Auditor Training – A two-day course designed to help the person responsible for health & safety understand how to measure the effectiveness of the company’s program.

Leadership for Safety Excellence – A two-day course designed to help the supervisor understand their health & safety roles and responsibilities.

Train-the-Trainer course – A one-day course in either Flagperson or Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) or Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).

The above courses require six days of training.

STEP 3 – A “Site Assessment for Peer Audit” form must be filled out and faxed to the COR department in the Edmonton office (phone for a copy of this form). Arrangements for the audit, from notification date, could take approximately four weeks to arrange.

STEP 4 – The external PEER audit should take approximately two working days to complete, for a company with up to 100 employees, depending on location of the active work site(s) in relation to the head office. Once the audit has been completed and the close out meeting (between the auditor and the company) has been held, the audit document must be forwarded by the company to the ACSA for review. This process should take less than ten days to complete, barring any unforeseen errors and/or omissions in the audit.

STEP 5 – The ACSA forwards a request for certification to Alberta Human Resources and Employment, Workplace Health and Safety for issuance of the Certificate of Recognition. This process could take up to four weeks to complete.

Certification is good for three-years from the date of the external (peer) audit. Maintaining your certification requires internal audits submitted annually and employment of a full-time employee who has completed the required training.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

HAHA!

I'm in the military, as most of you know.....we do all the heavy construction work and grounds maintenance. Believe me, we have safety plans out the ears for everything!! Probobly 20 cords of trees stuffed in binders all over!

Honestly, most of it useless and used to cover butts, but some of it is actually usefull when its tied in with equipment specific training.

Drop me an e-mail if you need any forms or ideas for your shop, I'll help you out.

Later!
Old 11-19-2002, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks ... I am interested in equipment specific training ei: bobcats, saws, trucks .... also unloading materials, loading materials, chaining stuff down .... anything industry specific. I also have a feeling that our shop is not very safe ... ei I see gas cans being left inside(we do have a storage container outside) .... used oil ( we have a tank for that too...ouside by fuel tanks)... new oil ( how are we to store the new oils) ... just alot of questions. I have a feeling we are in for a big surprise when we have a audit done.
I would like to minimize that. I am hoping to learn something in these courses.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Lawnsite Addict

kris, look in to your insurance company's safety programs. Most have all kinds of stuff that will help you, they can even supply a safety consultant. Also check with your equipment suppliers most have learning material that you can use to develope a program.