Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-26-2009, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler 27 HP coil problem

I am trying to help my brother with a Kohler 27 hp engine, 2005 model.

In the last 6 months he has burned up 14 coils and fuses also and the dealership, Dixie Chopper or Kohler has been unable to resolve this problem.
Everyone is pointing fingers at each other.

The dealership installed a new Chinese wiring harness per Kohler's instructions
and did away with air gap coils on fly wheel. The new wiring harness Conversion Kit basically uses diodes instead of air gap coils, not sure if this is correct.

Is there anyone who knows anything about this problem. I am trying to help him out as he gets about 20 to 30 minutes per coil. Below is the new conversion kit wiring harness from China that Kohler said to use.

Kohler # koh-24-755-162-s, dsai conversion kit

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do the Chinese have to do with anything?? Your problem was present before their harness. Lashing out in frustration?? Are the coils blistering or getting deformed?
You really have to isolate the ignition system from the rest of the electrical system. Be advised this will disable the OPC. Test run and see. I would think the problem is in the UNITS WIRING and/or related components. possibly back-feeding 12 volts to the modules through the ground circuit. The kit (if the correct one was used) that was installed does away with the SAM, and is a product improvement, but in no way, does it have anything to do with your problem. Sounds like they are just throwing parts and his money at it and don't have a friggin clue what they are doing.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Not bashing the Chinese. More like why is Kohler trashing their system and installing a conversion kit. Seems kinda fishy to me, like Kohler new there was a problem and had something designed by the Chinese to fix their problem. I'm not blaming anything on the Chinese as they probably designed the kit per Kohlers specifications.

You are right, they are having him throw money at the problem.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 25 755 162-S kit you are referring to includes two ignition modules, two wiring harnesses (you only use one depending on if you have spade or bullet connectors) and is made right here in the good ole U.S.A.

Problems are only seen on a small number of units and the problem is usually traced back to a ground issue with the electric clutch which lets voltage backfeed through the ground for the ignition module. The diode is put into the harness to prevent that from happening. There are thousands and thousands of engines out there running with this ignition system with no problems so the cause is normally something with the equipment. If you have new modules and just need the wiring harness the part number for the harness with spade terminals is 24 176 153-S and for the harness with bullet terminals is 24 176 153-S.