We will!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2009, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman2307 View Post
We will!
Posted via Mobile Device
Come by and see us. We are located inside . . . not to far from Toro.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Ted doesnt type

Ted dont type, he skypes !! LOL
Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ted, did you made side-by-side comparison video yet? (also -adverse conditions (full of grass(clippings), mud, ets)
btw. when you do stops (on video) - ypu can show stops with and without brakes - (better 4 visual, - in screen everything appears different than live)

2. does breaks works on the flat to help decelerate mower before turn - same effectively as on the slope?
how it damages the turf?
(i wouldn't expect it would work, but who would believe it works on the slope! so...
btw. - with increased speed and weight of the mowers - it get more harder to decelerate and turn around w/o turf damage (like bike or car w/o front brake - with only rear it would roll and roll...)
so if your brakes help to decelerate quickly and smoothly, turn and go - we can use our speed more, here's productivity (and quality) increase, not only safety

3. what you think of electric (not hydro) brake syst?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

New Third Party Tedbrakes Evaluation Video

Ok, we have three Independant Evaluations from Commercial ZTR Mower Operators, and Personal Use ZTR operators.

Click here to watch the first video where I sent my camera man in with a commercial operator who I never met (just to eliminate bias).

Jon Hayes from Hayes Landscaping and Lawncare chose a clients property to test them on where he has previously lost control of his Commercial Z Toro, and slid down the hill until he hit trees and a ditch. Pretty good test because you can see that the hill is still damp from the morning dew and it was a 20 degree slope . . . we do have several more independant evaluations coming.

Let me know what you think, and "demhustler" we will do our best to try out some side by side testing. I think that would be good also.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think the original version is simpler, and less expensive than the hydraulic version. I would be worried about wet grass clumping on and bending up that brake line on the new version. Some mornings on the Dixie Chopper that I use, the wet grass builds up, and you have to go backwards to flip the front wheels around, to clear the grass buildup. Also agree with Marc on the personal responsibility of the operator being a major factor. Just Thursday, I had my Hustler Shortcut, with the backpack collector do a wheelie on a hill I know I shouldn't be mowing with it. I just said a silent prayer, leaned forward, killed the ignition, let the wheelie bars take the load, as I slid backwards down the short hill. I knew what to do, from experience, and no brake on the front wheel will work with the front wheels in the air!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiyDave View Post
and no brake on the front wheel will work with the front wheels in the air!
of course it won't your going UP hill not down. If you BACK down the hill, essentially you have front brakes as the leading wheels going down the hill would be the back drive wheels, it other words, it would be like having front brakes on the mower. I think front brakes on ZTR's is a great idea and hope to see the manufacturers step up.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiyDave View Post
I would be worried about wet grass clumping on and bending up that brake line on the new version. Some mornings on the Dixie Chopper that I use, the wet grass builds up, and you have to go backwards to flip the front wheels around, to clear the grass buildup
The new version has braided steel lines and even though we haven't noticed a build up of grass on the lines, I very seriously doubt that grass buildup would bend a semi-flexible braided steel line. I am uploading the second video now and it my take awhile cause it is in HD, but it is worth checking out. I will post again as soon as it is up.

If you haven't already seen it, here is the link to the very first Commercial Independant Evaluation of the Tedbrakes.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ted I like your idea a lot. I see one potential problem that Im not sure if anyone mentioned. When I mow with my ZTR its common for me to put the front casters as far under bushes and low hanging trees like pine trees as possible so I can avoid as much trimming as possible. I dont know how strong the hoses are, but their set up looks to me like they are liable to catch on stuff if used the way I mentioned.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenred View Post
Ted I like your idea a lot. I see one potential problem that Im not sure if anyone mentioned. When I mow with my ZTR its common for me to put the front casters as far under bushes and low hanging trees like pine trees as possible so I can avoid as much trimming as possible. I dont know how strong the hoses are, but their set up looks to me like they are liable to catch on stuff if used the way I mentioned.

I doubt they will "brake" off. (pun intended) but seriously, if you take a few seconds to make sure your not driving into something that COULD cause damage then I think it would be perfectly fine.

I'd love to see these become standard on ZTR's. I have one place I cut that I've already slid down the hill into a tree! Had my mower been equipped with front brakes I would have never came close to even sliding.

Tags
mower safety , zero turn mower brakes , ztr mower brakes