Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll get a laugh

Im out mowing today. All of a sudden , nothing is coming out of the deck. Sure enough, the belt broke.

Oddly enough a small piece of wood had gotten wedged in the engine pulley and had caused the belt to break.

So, I get a new belt. I'm a bit confused for a few minutes till i figure out that I gotta loosen up the bolt on the idler bracket. Somehow I manage to pop the belt tension spring off. (keep in mind, the mower is still on my trailer.)

I get the belt on and I'm trying to figure out how to get this humongous spring back into place. Keep in mind I'm in the field and have limited tools.

I finally settle on tying a piece of string trimmer line to my trailer an the other to the tension spring. I turn on the mower and slowly back up the mower causing he spring to stretch just enough to pop it back over the retaining lug.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
. I turn on the mower and slowly back up the mower causing he spring to stretch just enough to pop it back over the retaining lug.
You got to do what you have to do

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I broke a hydro belt on the Super Z last week. 130hrs or so! Biggest PITA to change!

First had to release valves so it would free wheel, back ute down driveway, pull the SZ up the steep driveway onto a flat surface, go buy another belt (I thought I had a spare but it was for different machine,) get my tractor to lift SZ onto car ramps, release deck belt and remove from clutch, stain like a son of a bytch to get new belt onto the pulleys (why they are made sooooo tight is beyond me,) take off tow hitch so I can run some rope through the holes, around the idler and back out again, get wife to help pull and hold the idler so I can get belt over idler (similar problem you had), re attach deck belt, reattach tow hitch, drive off ramps and park in shop, go back up hill and get ramps, tractor, tools etc....
Drink many beers and wonder who the hell designed that POS!
Luckily I was home when it happened. It gets difficult when your out in the field , maybe on ants nests (happened twice now .)
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Long time ago I was using a belt drive WB and somehow I ran over a stick and it broke the drive belt that ran from the engine to the gear box pulley. Thankfully I was done with the yard but I still had to get my dead weight mower on my trailer. Did I mention it was raining slightly? I pushed and pushed by myself the mower up the slick ramp into the trailer finally while my customer a healthy middle aged guy stood by and watched me struggle lol.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you came up with an easy solution to a hard problem. Some of the spring arms have a 1/2 inch hole in them - just stick a 1/2 inch breaker bar in there and it gives it good leverage. Wish they all were like that.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenred View Post
I pushed & pushed by myself the mower up the
"slick ramp"
into the trailer finally while my customer a healthy middle aged guy stood by and watched me struggle lol.
Key word 'slick'..i think mr.healthy guy may have been operating
under a wisdom clause..you would not of wanted to be using your homeowners insurance on making a middle aged viewer into one into one of them disability aged suers.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are putting belts on wrong. Whether it's a deck or drive belt, this is what you do. Don't take the spring off or un bolt anything. For a deck, put the new belt around two pulleys and the tension pulley, as it would normally go on. Now you see that the belt isn't long enough to reach the last pulley, well pull on the belt and you see that the tension pulley moves to give you room you need to get the belt around the last pulley. You might have to pull hard, but it will go on.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbilt View Post
Sounds like you came up with an easy solution to a hard problem. Some of the spring arms have a 1/2 inch hole in them - just stick a 1/2 inch breaker bar in there and it gives it good leverage. Wish they all were like that.
A hole or some other leverage point woulda been nice..... no such luck on this one though.....Those hardened steel springs are just plain tough.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
Don't take the spring off or un bolt anything. For a deck, put the new belt around two pulleys and the tension pulley, as it would normally go on. Now you see that the belt isn't long enough to reach the last pulley, well pull on the belt and you see that the tension pulley moves to give you room you need to get the belt around the last pulley. You might have to pull hard, but it will go on.

Chesterlawn has the right idea !!!

On a deck belt rout it around all pulley's leaving the discharge side pulley for last, You can then pull the belt enough to get it started on this last pulley. Hold it in the pulley with the palm of your hand then grab the blade turning it to roll the belt on the rest of the way.

On the deck drive belt, Rout it around the clutch and any idler then roll it onto the center spindle pulley.

Do a hydro belt the same way by rolling it onto a pump pulley using a wrench on the lower crankshaft bolt, But make sure you start the belt on the proper side of the pulley so the direction of rotation to roll it on is tightening the bolt.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ment to add that but I didn't know how to explain it. Thanks