Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki Engine problems

I have 3 walk behind mowers all with the Kawasaki FH541V KAI 17 hp engine. 2 of the engines start on first pull everytime. The 3rd one takes 5-6 to start in the mornings and after it sits for an hour or so and cools down. I've tried choking and not choking and both are same. The only difference with the engine that doesn't start as easily is that it hasn't been used as much. The 2 engines that start well we use almost everyday. The engine that doesn't start well only gets used about once every 10 days or so. I've replaced the spark plugs but the old ones looked fine. The engine that is hard to start only has 20 hours or so on it but it is 2 years old.

Please help.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

bump to top
Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I would run some seafoam through it to clean the fuel system and carb if it has only been used 20 hours in 2 years, could be a little gunked up.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Jhawk. How do you do it? Just pour that stuff into the gas and oil?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Put it in the gas to clean the fuel system. I've used it with good effect. I have not used it for the oil yet, but I think I may put some in my WB before the next oil change.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki Engine problems! Please help!

I had a thread on here last week asking about a Kawasaki engine that was hard to start. I put some seafoam in the engine and ran it for a little while but still need to run the gas out of the mower to run all of the seafoam through. I went out to start and run again this morning and now the string pull won't even pull out at all. I ran and mowed with the mower just last night and it ran beautifully. Has anyone had this type of problem and what was the cure? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow concerning warranty but thought I'd get an idea of what it is before I talk to him. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The mower literally has 25 to 30 hours max on it. I have 2 other exact same engines with a bunch more hours than this one that start and run flawlessly. Its a kawasaki KAI series 17hp twin V engine.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkyLawncare View Post
I had a thread on here last week asking about a Kawasaki engine that was hard to start. I put some seafoam in the engine and ran it for a little while but still need to run the gas out of the mower to run all of the seafoam through. I went out to start and run again this morning and now the string pull won't even pull out at all. I ran and mowed with the mower just last night and it ran beautifully. Has anyone had this type of problem and what was the cure? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow concerning warranty but thought I'd get an idea of what it is before I talk to him. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The mower literally has 25 to 30 hours max on it. I have 2 other exact same engines with a bunch more hours than this one that start and run flawlessly. Its a kawasaki KAI series 17hp twin V engine.

Thanks in advance
Sounds like there is a possibility you bought a lemon, hope not!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pull the spark plugs and see it it turns. If it does, your carb leaked fuel into the cylinders. That's about all I can think of. Tony

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I drop Coleman lighter fluid and Isopropyl rubbing alcohol in my gas tank, do you think it will hurt the engine?

Because that's what's inside that bottle of Seafoam, and it probably didn't hurt the engine, but I also don't think it helped it any.

Last edited by topsites; 10-07-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Any suggestions Topsites? Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Tags
exmark , kawasaki , kohler , lawncare , mower , scag , stihl