Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just curious, I noticed that you said a few posts back that you guys do some of the maintenance after these landscapes are installed. What are some of the things that you do, just wondering seeing as I know your out of the maintenance side of the business basically.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Iím going to choose not to go into a lot of details on how we maintain or what we do or donít do. In the past 6 months we have introduced a comprehensive maintenance program to our new build clients who have done sizeable installs with us. It has been very well received, protects our reputation, and truly stands us apart from other companies. We really had to think outside the box on this one, but it is one that Iím not going to go into details on. It works great and reinforces to our clients that they have chosen the right company. You canít play the game the way everyone else does if you are truly going to win in this industry.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I belive the vast majority of high end landscape operations always contiune maintaining their installs for years to come. Every company I respect and admire I know for a fact that they maintain them. Marty grunder is huge into this, he preaches about this. The maintenance side is a constant and dependible flow of cash into your biz. The new construction could very well come to a complete hault where even mr.etw man has no work to do. It could, will it? Probly not but it could. If it did....... You would still have cash flowing in. I belive its a vital part of keeping your work top notch for years and years, keeping the publics perseption of you top notch. The landscape looks the best 3-5 years after it has been installed but if "mikes lawn and landscape" comes in and throws down red mulch over your nice hardwood and prunes this, cuts that, moves this, tops that then it is on a steep downward spiral. If you are maintaining the property you can keep things on the up and up, maybe a tree does need to be moved, maybe we want to change this or change that to keep things working in perfect harmony with one another. A whole other side to the importance is keeping a constant flow of communication with the client. This is a highly important aspect because you want to be johny on the spot when they do need more work but it also allows you to work referals out of this client. Keep them in the loop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maintenance after the install is definitely a good move. We are thinking of even offering lifetime warranty on plants with our maintenance agreement, as long as customer adds bug sprays, fungicides if needed. Like said before, you can install a beautiful landscape and someone can destroy it in 1 season by not knowing what they are doing.
Cheers
Old 10-08-2009, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
I belive the vast majority of high end landscape operations always contiune maintaining their installs for years to come. Every company I respect and admire I know for a fact that they maintain them. Marty grunder is huge into this, he preaches about this. The maintenance side is a constant and dependible flow of cash into your biz. The new construction could very well come to a complete hault where even mr.etw man has no work to do. It could, will it? Probly not but it could. If it did....... You would still have cash flowing in. I belive its a vital part of keeping your work top notch for years and years, keeping the publics perseption of you top notch. The landscape looks the best 3-5 years after it has been installed but if "mikes lawn and landscape" comes in and throws down red mulch over your nice hardwood and prunes this, cuts that, moves this, tops that then it is on a steep downward spiral. If you are maintaining the property you can keep things on the up and up, maybe a tree does need to be moved, maybe we want to change this or change that to keep things working in perfect harmony with one another. A whole other side to the importance is keeping a constant flow of communication with the client. This is a highly important aspect because you want to be johny on the spot when they do need more work but it also allows you to work referals out of this client. Keep them in the loop.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have read this whole thread twice and admire everything Jarod has said and shown in these pages. I have learned a lot from everything and love seeing the pics and updates!

I usually try to not clutter threads with simple replies but I like your reference to Marty Grunder. I see a lot about him on this site and I can tell you that his operation and him are first class. They do a great job, present themselves well, and have a great reputation. I feel lucky to be in his area as they are a pretty cool inspiration.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I agree, like I said grunder is one of them that always looks after the landscape well into the future. He even has a trademarked name for that service. I just can't remeber it. Landcare maybe? Its on his website.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Picasso;3220710]Yeah I agree, like I said grunder is one of them that always looks after the landscape well into the future. He even has a trademarked name for that service. I just can't remeber it. Landcare maybe? Its on his website.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

He calls it Landkeeping. Pretty ingenious.

Last edited by ohiogreenworks; 10-08-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah!! He is a very wise man. "Landkeeping" I love it, now that is thinking outside the box, being the first to step out....shut the lid.... And sit on top of it so the others can't get out!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I just wish at some point in my career my business can be as productive, classy and as big as yours.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is alot of good information in the posts above. The bottom line, or summary of all of it is you have to make sure your customers are taken care of, better than your competitor. Do that and your businesses will grow.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."