Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing

hey yall.. my names miles im 21 years old and love to do landscaping... i was talking to my old man and hes right the only way your ever going to make any money with it is to open your own business so im on here just to get the scoop of things...i have most of the smaller equipment for landscaping beds and smaller yards but i still have to purchase a zero turn and trimmer... i have a hook up for aerators and other heavy duty materials that i dont use on a regular basis got a few questions that hopefully yall can help me with...

1)Mowing.... how much do you charge... do you do it by the square footage, or the time, distance, location, charge extra for slope of hard (ex hill you have to mow with a walk behind/ maybe add on a percentage to the total price)

2) Fertilizing... I know that you need to have a license to fertilizer... how do you get them.. is it different for every state (im in ohio)... whats the cost.. how much do you charge per square footage... do you include an extra price per gallon for chemical spray of weeds??

3) Aerating/Overseeding... how much do you charge... like mowing is it extra for rough steep hilly terrain?

4)distance? do you charge driving distance from your business location.. does it get cheaper once you get more customers on that route?

5)wholesale... do you recommend wholesale purchase of fertlizers for someone who is just starting off or just purchase as you need?

6) tree falling? do you think its a good idea... i have dropped about 30 trees... about 10 ive had to climb up and top off... i know my safety knots, have harnesses and proper equipment? should i encorpate it in the adverstising or just offer it as an option if a customer ask for it and see if the job is possible without any serious equipment??? do you charge for hallaway?

7)firewood... i have tons of firewood in my back yard that i sell... i was just wondering how much yall charge for firewood

8)snow removal... i plan on trading in my 2wheel drive for a 4x4 heavy duty hear soon... do you recommend snow removal... i heard it takes a toll on your front end suspension with the snow plow and transmission moving all that weight and pushing snow...

9)landscaping beds... whats your pricing for shrub installation, trimming/prunning etc... do you bid by the number of plants being cut/installed.. do you take into consideration the size of the plants... the amount of edging needed be done? do you bid the mulch job on how many yards it is (price of mulch plus labor per yard/)

like i said im a young entrupruner whos just trying to get this thing started and see what my options are for the future... i really love this work and would greatly appreciate any help that yalls can give me... hope to hear from ya...

miles
Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of your questions can be answered with common sense. There is no 'price'. You must analyze your costs based on your expenses and what you want your salary to be. If you can not do that, then I suggest not owning your own business.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

((labor + material + tool charge + overhead) x (1 + profit margin)) x hours to complete job = price
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

6. You need special insurance to cover you for tree work.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
That's if he's cutting an existing tree down as well as needing a license to do so. If it's already down and needs cut up and removed that's totally different, no license and general liability is good enough.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Knowledge factory

With a name like Miles it sounds like you have got to do some miles !
Oops thats kms in oz.
I guess you guys (yankees) might get there before 2050 !
Ye all have ma blessin's anny how.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone bitin ?
I give ya sum tim to sink den !!!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Friday 8 pm

Whats the time in US ?

I am boozin in oz.

I Was recently in Phuket with the missus and there were heaps of Navy & Marines there and they were cool.

24 - jun to 4 th jul

Landscape and lawnmowing.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Agreed. However ensure EVERYTHING has insurance on it, talk to your agent and ensure you are covered. Not worth the risk otherwise to go out.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milawnsandlandscaping View Post
1)Mowing.... how much do you charge... do you do it by the square footage, or the time, distance, location, charge extra for slope of hard (ex hill you have to mow with a walk behind/ maybe add on a percentage to the total price)
Like said by others, need to know costs (all of them!! ensure you have insurance, calculate equipment depreciation and maintenance, gasoline, oil, etc, etc.. then build in overhead and some profit.. then you have your rate) You have a lot of services - similar to my company in many ways - service rates WILL vary. This depends on overhead - some equipment costs more per hour to run - and competition - what others are charging in the area. This covers much of what you have listed below.

Quote:
2) Fertilizing... I know that you need to have a license to fertilizer... how do you get them.. is it different for every state (im in ohio)... whats the cost.. how much do you charge per square footage... do you include an extra price per gallon for chemical spray of weeds??
This can be different for each area.. so investigate closely. Also talk to your insurance agent - although fertilizing is likely ok - pesticides can impact your rates.

Quote:
3) Aerating/Overseeding... how much do you charge... like mowing is it extra for rough steep hilly terrain?
Can be.. is it going to take you longer.

Quote:
4)distance? do you charge driving distance from your business location.. does it get cheaper once you get more customers on that route?
It does get cheaper to operate once more customers.. but not cheaper charges typically. If you charge too much for travelling you won't get any customers!! Your rates need to be competitive.

Quote:
5)wholesale... do you recommend wholesale purchase of fertlizers for someone who is just starting off or just purchase as you need?
Purchase as you need - no profit really - but you do not want a few tons of material lying around. Also unless or until you get into it the prices can vary dramatically from month to month (or even week to week) at wholesale level.

Quote:
6) tree falling? do you think its a good idea... i have dropped about 30 trees... about 10 ive had to climb up and top off... i know my safety knots, have harnesses and proper equipment? should i encorpate it in the adverstising or just offer it as an option if a customer ask for it and see if the job is possible without any serious equipment??? do you charge for hallaway?
Absolutely charge for hallaway.. and cleanup. And stump grinding if necessary.. and if stump ground then there may be topsoil and seeding charges. Also have minimum charges for EVERYTHING.. do not unload your equipment for free.

Quote:
7)firewood... i have tons of firewood in my back yard that i sell... i was just wondering how much yall charge for firewood
This varies dramatically from area to area, need to look around your area. Also varies if delivered, type of wood, competition, etc.

Quote:
8)snow removal... i plan on trading in my 2wheel drive for a 4x4 heavy duty hear soon... do you recommend snow removal... i heard it takes a toll on your front end suspension with the snow plow and transmission moving all that weight and pushing snow...
Would not touch it .. and I live in an area where we get more snow than most. ( I am a hundred or so miles due north of you ).. Now I am looking at putting a few large snow blowers out this year, but not plows on truck. Too much liability insurance for what I want to get into with my guys. If you are serious and doing full time, and this means working very early in mornings, and going when the snow falls.. then maybe. But unless you are at it every day, and long hours.. then forget it.

Tags
aerating , fertilizing , mowing , overseeding , pricing