Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope things dry out for you White Gardens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I hope things dry out for you White Gardens..
Ya, me too. I'd like to start really rockin on this project, as soon as I get a groove, it starts raining.

The last time it rained I was able to go back in 24 hours after it stopped. I don't think that is going to happen this time.

Hopefully it freezes hard enough tonight that it actually dries it out some.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

man, you have been getting some sweet jobs!

Oh, BTW... saw your comments in the stupid MSN article on landscapers... well done. What an idiotic article that was.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
man, you have been getting some sweet jobs!

Oh, BTW... saw your comments in the stupid MSN article on landscapers... well done. What an idiotic article that was.
It was an idiotic article. I hate when people put the blame on an industry when it really comes down to the customers being responsible and informed about who they hire.

I will say on your first comment, thanks. I wish business was a little better, but, I'm still growing and I do see some major potential in where my biz will go as long as the economy keeps slogging forward through the financial mud.

The clients that I've worked with generally have gotten other opinions from other scapers, and didn't like what they had to say, or they couldn't sell their product. I guess I'm finding my niche in a market that is saturated by landscapers.

I'm not saying that I'm a unique landscaper, and my landscapes are the end all to be all, but, I do feel I have a different perspective to turn even some simple jobs into something unique and sweet .

Thanks Whitey, Hope your feeling better.

Last edited by White Gardens; 10-12-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
It was an idiotic article. I hate when people put the blame on an industry when it really comes down to the customers being responsible and informed about who they hire.

I will say on your first comment, thanks. I wish business was a little better, but, I'm still growing and I do see some major potential in where my biz will go as long as the economy keeps slogging forward through the financial mud.

The clients that I've worked with generally have gotten other opinions from other scapers, and didn't like what they had to say, or they couldn't sell their product. I guess I'm finding my niche in a market that is saturated by landscapers.

I'm not saying that I'm a unique landscaper, and my landscapes are the end all to be all, but, I do feel I have a different perspective to turn even some simple jobs into something unique and sweet .

Thanks Whitey, Hope your feeling better.

I'm hangin in... they keep cuting more dead tissue off my foot, and it just bleeds more. They should have left the frackin thing alone. that toe has been bleeding for almost 2 months now, since they took a knife to it.

I'm mostly mowing, but got a few lawn reno's this fall, two sod jobs, two seedings, and some tree installs, one small retaining wall, but it's slow.

I think you have a very good eye for design work, and obviously can talk with customers. I hate to call it selling. It's listening and responding to a customer's needs. It's that simple. Seems you ar very good at that sort of communication. When I talk to a customer, I don't sell anything. I just talk... and mostly listen. if there is a job there, I'll get it. I think you likely do it about the same way.

Keep up the great work my friend. Later.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I finally got back to work

It finally dried out enough today to get my sub-grade finished. Just in time, it's supposed to rain the next 36 hours.

It was still a little muddy this morning so I told the HO that I would cut the blocks out of the front steps. He is trying to salvage as many of the blocks as possible to fill in the foundation where the steps on the side of the porch were located.(basically they removed an extra door on the porch).

The blocks have the same form as the foundation blocks for the porch and you can't buy anything close to it, so he's trying to match up what he can and with what room he has left, he is going to make an access door. He originally was going to cut them out himself, but I need those steps gone so I can figure the grade in that area.

Enjoy the progress pics.

Name:  base1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  base2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  base3.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  141.1 KB

Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And the last three pics.

Name:  base4.jpg
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  base5.jpg
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  base6.jpg
Size:  131.3 KB

Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is Vermeer working with you on rental, being that its raining so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Is Vermeer working with you on rental, being that its raining so much?
Actually yes. Between the breakdown and multiple rains we had, it hasn't had too many hours put on it.

I called my rep the other day, and asked him if I should bring the machine back so I'm not getting charged for it sitting idle. He told me that it wasn't worth it to either have them come pick it up, or me hauling it back to Eureka. He assured me that they'll work with me on the final bill.

I was freaking out about that the other day when it rained for 4 days and we got 2.5 inches of rain. I knew that I might have the machine for 3 weeks, but I still didn't want the thing idle.

More rain tonight, tomorrow morning, then tomorrow night into Thursday.

Luckily the 10 day forecast looks good after that though. I'm hoping to have my base down by next Monday.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, another day of working in the mud.

I went and rented an electric jack-hammer to break out the rest of the concrete steps in the front of the house. Took a little over three hours and I'm guessing there was about 3000 pounds of concrete.

Here is the Jack Hammer I used.

Name:  BreakerHammer.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  52.1 KB

It wasn't as bad as everyone makes a jack-hammer out to be. Yes, it is hard on the arms, but as long as you let the machine do the work, it wasn't too bad. I think the hardest part is moving it around as it weighs a lot.

I just about out of things to do until it dries out. Next step is to remove the broken concrete from the steps and to get a dry day to compact my sub-base.