Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Issue with Kohler CH18

Hello,
I have a Kohler CH18 engine that was brought to me because after about 50 hours since a new cam was put in, it bent a pushrod and acted like it ran out of gas. we took it apart (i run the same engine in my pulling tractor) are re-rung it. we put it all back together, and it wouldnt run on ether. if you pull the choke, fuel blows out the top of the carburetor. we performed a leakdown on it and determined the intake valve to not be sealing correctly, because air was coming out of it. that in itself seemed odd because we had a valve job done on it too. then today while i was working on it, i replaced the head on that side and it still bent the #2 cylinder, exhaust pushrod. i have put a different head on it, different lifter in it, different valve in it, different pushrods and different rocker arms on it, i even put a new cam in it. i am at a loss and dont know what to do from here. any help?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your not bleeding the lifters down before installing the push-rods/rockers.

Even though the below thread pertains to a Kohler 15 hp the process is the same on all Kohlers with hydraulic lifters, Make sure you have both pistons positioned half way down the cylinder bore before you install the push-rods and rockers if you use the leave it set over night method of bleeding.

Also, Do NOT take the lifters apart.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291211

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Tags
ch18 , kohler , problem , pushrod , valve