Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Should I till it now?

Hi folks, I am one who have no idea whatsoever about lawn cares.
I have a lawn that is about 5000 sft, which is 50% covered by crab grass,(I was ignorant, I mowed it without the grass bag a few times this summer).

I was going to pull out all the crab grass before I over seed the lawn this week, which I realized that is a bit PITA. (I decide not to pull the crab grass out one by one with hand.)
Should I just hand rake the lawn to make sure enough dirt expose for over seeding, or I better to till the whole lawn?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

E @ Quincy MA
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't recommend doing anything that drastic in your area this late in the year. A more local LCO might tell me I am wrong, but I don't think you are far away from getting some hard frosts. In my opinion, if you were to till & seed this late in the year, you would get poor germination and be going through winter with 4000 sq ft of mud.

I would just slit seed/power seed/slice seed the lawn ASAP, immediately followed by aeration & a compost topdressing. Apply pre-emergent next year, you will likely need it.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Too cold buddy. Throw some rye down and use the crabgrass as a blanket. Tkae care of it early spring.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, really appreciated.
so I am doom till next year.
What if I use those organic tea to germinated the seeds before I put them in with a slice seeder?

Should the aerate before the seed down or after?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not familiar enough with your climate to answer about the seed inoculation. It would likely speed things up, but I don't know if it would speed them up enough.

In regards to aerating:

If you go for the slit seeding, you can aerate immediately after seeding. If you opt to only aerate and seed, aerate several days before seeding, be sure and get a couple of waterings and a mowing in between the aeration & the seeding to help close up the holes a bit, otherwise a large amount of your seed will wind up at the bottom of the aerator holes which will be too deep. Be sure and use a core aerator NOT a spike aerator, and go over the lawn 2 or 3 times with the aerator.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks atouchofnature, now I know exactly how to attack this.
wish me luck, hope the lawn will get better next year.
Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you have clay or pure sand...waiting 3 days after aerating is the last thing you want to do. If the ground will hold the hole open, seeding into it is one of the easiest ways for success. By the time you mow that seed..the roots are 5 inches and the leaf is 4 inches. In times of stress during the summer they may be the seeds that survive the best!