Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2000, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

What jobs are blowers intend to do?<br>Handheld<br>Backpack<br>Power blowers<br>When do you upgrade from handheld to backpack?<br>When do you upgrade from backpack to WB power blowers like Little Wonder or when do you need both types?<p>I am using an Echo handheld blower now but plan to upgrade to the Stihl BR400 backpack this fall.<p><br>
Old 08-01-2000, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have always used an 8 hp WB blower and a handheld blower. The backpack blowers just dont interest me.<p>Bill<p>
Old 08-01-2000, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you work alone then forever!!!<br>If you have guys that work for you about every 4 years.<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 08-01-2000, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

With blowers it depends on your attempting to do. Handheld are perfect for quick in and out blowing of sidewalks and small drives of residential customer. Backpacks are nice for the larger commerial walks and for fall clean-up were you need to get into tight places. The walk behind blowers are obviously for best parking lots, and whole yard clean-up's in fall. As for up-grading it depends on your client list.
Old 08-01-2000, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

as a home owner I bought a hand held blower when I bought my house 15 years ago. used it every week to blow drive, walks and street.<p>now, four years ago bought a BR-400 for the lawn service. what have I used the hand held for since then? nothing that matters, especially for the walk, the drive and the street.<p>I can't think of a thing that a hand held can do that a back pack can't do better.<p>it all depends on what your leaf clients yards are like if you need a wheeled blower. I've got a five horse snapper wheeled model and it's useless to me. runs great, blows alot of air, and it's not worth a tinkers damn in blowing a yard compared to the BR-400.<p>now, &quot;when do you upgrade your blowers?&quot;<p>never! buy the BR-400 backpack (or equivilant other brand) and be done with it!<p>GEO
Old 08-02-2000, 05:04 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've had both hand helds and back packs. One thing a back pack big blower like an EB6200 can do better, is blow wet clippings off of a wet driveway in the rainy season when you have to mow when it's wet. It does a lot better job of that.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 08-02-2000, 05:32 PM
Millenium Member

Agree with GEO, buy a BR-400 and use it until it dies.
Old 08-02-2000, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I decided to upgrade to backpacks in 93. As Eric said, the ability to blow off wet sidewalks and drives is a big plus even if you don't think you need a backpack. To me, taking the backpack out and getting it strapped on only takes a few seconds more and the time to blow off the area is easily cut in half or better
Old 08-03-2000, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Check out this &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.steinerturf.com/sp-pb200.htm&quot;&gt;Big Blower&lt;/a&gt;<p>Note the air volume<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith
Old 08-03-2000, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I mow by myself. I college I had 35 yards, now I work full time and have 12. I am very busy and this year I wanted to increase my efficiency. I went from a Belt to a hydro drive... WOW what an increase in productivity!!! I also got tired of my 8 year old Stihl BG-72. FOr some reason I always hater the ergonimics of the unit but it was very dependable so I kept it. I wanted a new toy so I began to look at backpacks. I looked at the Stihl and Echo. I have had excellent luck with Echo stuff so I went with them. I love it!!! I can run into the wind and still blow anything out of my way! As noted above it does wonders for wet grass in beds and on pavement!!! It truely has increased my productivity!!! Get one with the throttle control on the pistol grip!!!