Register free!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Eco Lawn Applicator

After searching the web for a machine that will spread compost efficiently, I came across:

http://www.ecolawnapplicator.com/index3.html

But I wonder what you guys use. This machine retails for $5500. What other machines are out there that can do a similar job or have similar capabilities, for a more reasonable price? Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased a ecolawn top dresser a couple of weeks back. It makes the job of spreading compost a lot faster. It is a really simple design and I think really expensive for what it is. The only problems I have had with it are all associated with it belts and am actually in the process of converting it to chain driven. A full hopper of compost is way to much weight for this machine to be belt driven in my opinion. Once this is changed it should be a great machine. If you have a market for topdressing it can pay for its self quickly.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats the latest on this machine? Anything similar but cheaper on the market?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaHeat View Post
After searching the web for a machine that will spread compost efficiently, I came across:

http://www.ecolawnapplicator.com/index3.html

But I wonder what you guys use. This machine retails for $5500. What other machines are out there that can do a similar job or have similar capabilities, for a more reasonable price? Thanks
That is a reasonable price. Good equipment costs money and makes you money. Buy something cheap and you'll soon be replacing it & buying something you should have bought in the first place. Rule of thumb when buying tools & equipment; buy the best and save money.

I like the Ecolawn, it's a good machine. I own an Earth & Turf 100SP http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm. It costs a little more, but is a heavy duty machine that can handle the weight (I enlarged the hopper & doubled the capacity) while providing precision control.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

InaHeat: I agree with what has been said about price. That sounds like a reasonable price for what a topdresser is supposed to do. If you find new prices much cheaper than that, it would probably be a "toy" or an unproven design. One of the other sponsors on this site is Lawn Solutions out of Louisville. They have gained a good reputation with other lawn care machines. They are fine-tuning their design and testing out a topdresser now. Hopefully it will be out soon (maybe Fall). Several of us are waiting for its introduction. Click on their name among the sponsors on the opening page of LawnSite for info about the company and its machines. I'm not a paid shill. I'm just a satisfied customer with a couple of their other products.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Peter Schmidt over at compostwerks has one too, I have never used it but folks seem pretty satisfied with it. He doesn't make it but resells it for a Canadian company. It may be the same unit

He is just south of you right across the CT NY border

http://www.compostwerks.com/
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I was looking to see what else was on the market as well, so this opened up my eyes a little bit more.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

There arent alot of options for landscapers that I have found. You have the Earth and Turf sp100, Ecolawn and R&R topdresser. I have tried the Earth and Turf and the Ecolawn. I bought the Ecolawn. I considered the R&R unit but didnt get to test it and was a little worried about different materials not going thru it. The Ecolawn spreads just about everything that I have put in it so far. I think it is expensive for such a simple machine. There just isnt alot to choose from for now.

I have a few designs in mind to build a simple machine that has a price point of less than 3k that is self propelled and spreads a wide assortment of materials. I plan on building it over the next few months and see if my design works as I envisioned.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Tech View Post
There arent alot of options for landscapers that I have found. You have the Earth and Turf sp100, Ecolawn and R&R topdresser. I have tried the Earth and Turf and the Ecolawn. I bought the Ecolawn. I considered the R&R unit but didnt get to test it and was a little worried about different materials not going thru it. The Ecolawn spreads just about everything that I have put in it so far. I think it is expensive for such a simple machine. There just isnt alot to choose from for now.

I have a few designs in mind to build a simple machine that has a price point of less than 3k that is self propelled and spreads a wide assortment of materials. I plan on building it over the next few months and see if my design works as I envisioned.
Cool, please keep us posted. I think the Ecolawn is a touch overpriced. Even used form the gentleman himself is just a few dollars off, maybe 10%?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Have the earth & turf sp100.Really like it .Spreads 30 % moisture content (cotton burr compost) without a problem.