Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So what's with the whole "friends" thing?

I admit to being out of the loop in regards to the whole on line community etiquette thing. So will someone explain to me the purpose of having "friends" I get requests from time to time and I just don't see what its all about. What am I committing to.. what is the benefit or downside.. Why do grown men have to announce to the world we are friends? Help me out here.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

it is just a feature that was added with the software upgrade at the site...that, along with the visitor messaging system, allows members to have their own "place" here within LawnSite
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So what do you do with your own place? Have private conversations that are blocked from the rest of the community?

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

AZ we alll get our own shiny bulb planter pin and if they dont have it then we know they arent in the secret society - LOL!

I havent quite figured the jist of this option either?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
So what do you do with your own place? Have private conversations that are blocked from the rest of the community?
No, it is not a private system, but to contact someone privately on the site you would use the private message system. The "visitor messaging" system and "friends" feature is similar to facebook. Members can use their profile area to create albums with pics, create a friends list (which you can send and receive friend requests) and other members are able to interact with you directly there and also check out the albums you create.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Man I am getting to the point I could hide my own Easter eggs. I just got another friends request and once again I wondered why the whole friends thing so I did a search and wallah... I already asked this question.

I barely have time to skim lawn site a few times a week no way I have more time to do more than I already do but for those who do I guess this feature has value, just not to me. So for the most part I consider all on site friends but I wont be joining any groups, but thanks for asking.