Register free!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tree Lighting

Hi Everybody,

I have a couple of large jobs coming up in the spring with some very nice large trees and I want to give them some life by illuminating them.
Just wondering if you guys can provide me names of your favourite tree lights. The application will mostly be downlighting to provide a wide area of shadows (moonlighting) but will also include some low mounted uplights to illuminate the canopy.
Here are a couple of pictures of the jobs to be completed.

Thanks

Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by emby; 10-18-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: One other picture for a third job
Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice trees on first and last picture.
I prefer unique's lunar + well lights - like apollostar or nova.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ken I know you use Coppermoon. Doug has a new tree light out the cm115t

I still use and preffer the unique lunar or quasar1 but not sure how the open fixtures will work up in Canada. James swears they wont but down here they are fine.

The glare control with these is awsome. Just crank that orbital lock down pretty good and they seem to stay in place pretty well. I have had a couple move on me but only when they are hit by falling debris or limbs in a storm.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Egor and Billy.
Billy, I heard about the new tree light and will be looking at it this week. I always tend to use the Cast tree light but I have noticed in pictures on this site that other people are using what appear to be larger fixtures than the Cast. (even James)
I have always wanted to try a CM-890 up in a tree since the spread of the light will be much greater than just a 60 degree MR 16. Not too sure that the fixture will perform without leaks though. I would only use these to highlight the upper canopy area so glare would not be a factor.
I have not looked at the Unique line and will do so but if James has said they will not be right for this appication up here do to our climate I must take that into consideration. (Way more experience)
I always like to test things out here at my house but since so many of you have years of doing this I thought I might ask you all what preferences you have.
Thanks and if anyone else has some other fixtures that they have tried and tested let me know.

Ken
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ken keep in mind the uniques are avalible sealed too. I do have several CAST tree lights in the field. I know James has alot of them too. I personally have not had an issue with the CAST tree lights. They are a solid built fixture but I just preffer the cannon type nose on the uniques. Very hard to pick them out at night unless your standing under them. I Think the CAST tree light is actually a bit larger than the unique. I have never set them side by side. The coppermoon tree light is around the size of the cast one.

Everyone likes something different When I light a tree im not going for the flood light effect the 890 or 895 would give (love both these fixtures) I like the dramatic look of some contrast in the trees.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the new CM115T fixture here and in my opinion it is not ready for market yet. There are 5 or 6 ciritical shortcomings in that fixture that will not make it ideal for the application.

I have seen the Unique product for tree mounting, and am not all that impressed with the orbital mount. I have also talked to others who report that they have had issues with the fixtures loosing their aim. I think that a proper tree mounted fixture should be able to handle all of the forces of nature and not loose its aim.

Ken: Those photos show some nice trees... I would count on doing some uplighting and downlighting in order to show them off nicely. That large tree in the first photo will eat 8 to 10 fixtures easily - as long as the client "has the will" of course.

Regards

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had the 115t for about a month now. I have spoke to Doug on some prefferences I have in tree lights and he seems to want to listen. I think that it will be an evolving product as is his whole line. Dont write it off just yet.

I also just used a handfull of the 115 bullets. Nice fixture if you need/want/client demands a copper uplight. I still really preffer the brass 125 or the Gambino Toscana. The output of these 2 lights is much cleaner than anything I have seen with a convex lens like the 115 has.

On the orbital mounts... if you try to adjust too far then crank it down it doesnt tighten down as good. I would mark that up as installer error and not the fixture. Careful placement and bracket positioning is important with any tree light.

Last edited by Pro-Scapes; 10-19-2009 at 10:56 PM.