Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2002, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where to begin. I have a 1997 3500 5 spd dumper with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. In August it broke the crankshaft. The total bill was $18,700 CDN. Chevy mechanic and distict rep felt it broke due to the POOR DESIGN of the engine and 5 spd combo. After a lot of noise Chevy paid approx 1/3 of the bill. The truck is in excellent shape, well maintained and only has 140,000 kms on it. It now has a new factory crate engine, new turbo, new injectors, new brakes, new water pump, new alternator and probably more I can't remember. I find it hard to even call it a diesel compared to the 99 Powerstroke and 99 Cummins we also own. I would never buy another and after being a Chevy fan for over a decade their customer service will make it very difficult to ever own another.

Scott
Old 11-27-2002, 09:59 AM

Odin you don't even want me to start on these sick.5 POS. I have friends with them and friends that USED TO HAVE them. Every body hates them.

They wouldn't even fit the bill for a boat anchor. I hate the GM diesels so much that even if some body were to give me a vehicle with one in it, I would put it up for sale right away. Take the $$ from the sale and go buy a Power Stroke or Cummins.