Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2000, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My brother was mowing a field with a disc mower. He saw, only to late, a fawn lieing in the grass. All you could see was fur and blood flying. The motor grunted for a half second but kept on going.
Old 08-01-2000, 03:57 PM

do flying trailers count? mine flew 20 ft in the air when it smashed into a car.
Old 08-02-2000, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've hit everything from the usual pop cans to rocks & sticks, etc. but one of the more interesting things was my first year in biz I was at home cutting my 2.5 acre yard with a 30&quot; cut Ariens rear engine rider. I had a spot of tall grass & forgot what was there. All of a sudden I hear a POOMP! Turns out I forgot to move my can of silver spray paint. <br>I painted the underside of my deck in .3 sec. flat! <p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 08-02-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Several guys have asked me why my trimmer and blower racks are mounted on the diver's side of my trailer. Two summers ago I was cutting in 5th gear, on the lowest setting (I no longer do either) when I hit a crepe myrtle root. The mower bounced back very quickly and hit me. The handle bars hit me in the ribs and a sharp edge tore me open about 6&quot; down my side. The mower kept going without me and ran over the root again, chopping off a piece that flew into the P/S door (big dent) of my 6 month old GMC, which was parked in front of the yard I was mowing. Now I park across the street. Even with the big scar on my ribcage, this could have been worse. Don't mow in a transport gear, don't mow lawns as though they are putting greens, and don't forget how far these blades can throw something. Man did that ever hurt. I couldn't even start the mower to put it back on the trailer. Had to call the wife
Old 08-02-2000, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I was cutting my daughter and son-in-law's yard the other day. They had bought the place from a guy that was the biggest junk collector you'll ever meet. I had cut the yard several times since they bought it and didn't think there was anything else out there. I hit(never saw it) what I thought was a rock and was supprised to hear the thing. About thirty seconds later my son-in-law waves me down. Turned out I had hit piece or a car fan blade (just one blade of the thing). It had flown through the front window of the house. My four day old grandson was laying on the couch right beside where a 6&quot; X 9&quot; piece of glass fell. Scared the crap out of all the adults, but luckily Josh was not hurt at all.
Old 08-02-2000, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

2 years ago first cut of the season I hit what I was told was a lug from a tractor trailer, an L shaped piece of steel. It must have gotten plowed up on to the lawn during the winter. Anyway it broke a blade on my 60&quot; rider and sent a piece of steel into the street and blew the hub cap off of a jeep cherokee. It looked like it had been shot by a rifle. The vehicle was owned by the local electric company and the driver was thankful and so was I that it wasm't worse. He left saying I don't know how I'm going to explain this one. I shook for a day thinking about the kind of damage a commercial mower could inflict.